Do I have a broody chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wvchickenhouse, Dec 21, 2011.

1. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    This morning, one of my girls kept squaking and squaking.... I thought she was egg bound, but when I went to check on her she was in her nest. The chicken beside her jumped down to come see me along with the rest but she stayed and walked back and forth in the two boxes then sat back down. When they go broody do they get loud and not move out of their nesting box? I'm anxious to get home and see if she is still there.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Could be, that is some of a broody girl's behavior.
    Does she have anything under her? If you try to get an egg, does she try to take your arm off?

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Signs of broodiness: Refuses to leave nest, going right back when you take her off. Fluffing up twice her size, flattening herself flat in the nest, pecking your hand hard when you try to touch her. She has a bald tummy, and radiates a higher than normal amount of heat from her body.

Several days prior to going broody, she runs around, clucking very low in her throat, annoying and angering all the rest of the flock, who lose patience and chase her and peck her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by