Do I have a buff orp rooster or hen ?

Thank you everyone for your input . I’m confused as ever ! I thought for sure I had a cockerel cause the tail feathers are not as round as my americauna or olive Egger . I just have to find out before he she crows cause I’m only allowed to have hens . The chicken is such a sweet and docile personality , but it read it’s common for both pullet and rooster for the breed

Look at the saddle feathers, the Cape, the hackle feathers. If that doesn't convince you he's a boy, look at his face. I'm not talking about combs and wattles either, but the underlying face structure. Just like you can look a horse in the face and tell a boy from a girl (though not all geldings), you can do the same with most chickens. Boys usually have a fatter, bigger skull, wider between the eyes, jaw wider in relation to eye distance than a girl. There are a few other things about chicken faces that will tell the sex usually but I don't know the words to describe the features.
Just like A.I. computers can look at someone's retina and tell the sex of people with 99%accuracy, yet can't tell a programmer how the A.I. comes to such conclusions, sometimes you can just tell by looking at a chickens face.

Even though it's a boy, I would wait until the first crow before getting rid of it. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong at guessing chicken sex. :gig

Last edited:
Look at the saddle feathers, the Cape, the hackle feathers. If that doesn't convince you he's a boy, look at his face. I'm not talking about combs and wattles either, but the underlying face structure. Just like you can look a horse in the face and tell a boy from a girl (though not all geldings), you can do the same with most chickens. Boys usually have a fatter, bigger skull, wider between the eyes, jaw wider in relation to eye distance than a girl. There are a few other things about chicken faces that will tell the sex usually but I don't know the words to describe the features.
Just like A.I. computers can look at someone's retina and tell the sex of people with 99%accuracy, yet can't tell a programmer how the A.I. comes to such conclusions, sometimes you can just tell by looking at a chickens face.

Even though it's a boy, I would wait until the first crow before getting rid of it. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong at guessing chicken sex. :gig
Okay...I'm convinced. :bow

It’s interesting that you say that, my BO lays the largest eggs in my whole flock! And she’s a bit on the smaller side...she was sicklyish as a chick.
I agree. I've only had BOs, Australorps, and RIRs, but of those three the BO's all lay the largest eggs. I've had eggs that I could not fit in a carton from them. The Australorps lay long ones but thinner. They also don't always fit. The RIRs are the ones with medium sized eggs in my flock. No one, except young pullets, lay small eggs in my flock.

It’s interesting that you say that, my BO lays the largest eggs in my whole flock! And she’s a bit on the smaller side...she was sicklyish as a chick.

My Orpies usually lay a large to XL size egg. Do you have any Leghorns in your flock? All of my Leghorns lay 90g + eggs, a few are on the cusp of laying 100+! That's Colossal or King sized as they say Down Under! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom