Do I have a double dose frizzle chick?

ozzie

Crowing
16 Years
Nov 12, 2007
Australia (New South Wales)
I've hatched a few chicks from some posted eggs (they had 1 frizzle parent) and 1 particular chick just seems slower to feather up than the others. Initially I thought it was because it was a 'he' but looking at him his feathers look different to the other male frizzle chicks. Is he a double frizzle? If so does that mean he won't survive (I've heard that there are lots of problems with them) and that I should cull him?

This is him - Cadbury
P1000215.JPG

Another close up of Cadbury
P1000216.JPG

Another shot of Cadbury
P1000219.JPG

Just for comparison - here's the other male frizzle - it's nice and soft
P1000220.JPG

thank you
ozzie

the only problem I have heard of is they are not as soft and fluffy as the others. I would not cull him but I would not use him as breeding stock either. Pet quality would be good for someone who just LOVES the frizzle variety. sometimes they frizzle more as they grow up too.

Does not look double dosed to me.

Thank you for your opinions - I guess he just looks curlier than the others. Does that probably mean that he's slow to feather up?
smile.png

ozzie​

Ozzie, if there was only 1 frizzle in the breeding stock, he cannot be double dose. For double doses to happen, need to have at least a frizzled roo and hen..

I used to breed mixed breed frizzles and also frizzled Wyandotte bantams. It seemed to me other factors can also affect the frizzle appearence, such as feather length, hardness, etc.. for example a bird with genetically long and soft feathers can look quite curly/wavy, like water swirling around rocks in a stream.. but on short hard feathers, they look more like pine cones. Never bred two frizzles together either.

From the few double dose pics I've seen(never saw any in person), most were pretty sparsely feathered and the feathers broke off easily leaving the birds looking more like porcupines.

He looks just fine to me. Some Frizzles will be more intense than others and there are some birds that carry a slow feathering gene as well. You should do fine with him. I wish I could find some before and after photos in my albums for you. At around 8 to 10 weeks Cadbury should be feathered in enough to see his potential

I was reading on Ideals web sight that you have the possibility of getting normals,frizzels and curlies. So there may be a third possibility. I dought Ideal will do frizzel to frizzel because of the health issues. I am learning also. Like to see your pictures. I would not judge him yet....he may reall surprise you!
celebrate.gif

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I hatched him from eggs off a lady in the mail - I was doubtful that he was double dosed because the lady said that only 1 of the parents was a frizzle. When he started to look really different and curly I was rather concerned and he always looked sparser than the others (and smaller) because he was just so slow to feather up...the others look real poofy and he just looks bald.

They are only 4-5 weeks old so there's a way to go yet before the final verdict. Just from genetics alone I'm doubtful because the lady said only 1 of the parents is a frizzle but then again, sometimes you will get fence jumpers...
smile.png

Thanks again - this is a great forum!

ozzie

Back
Top Bottom