Do I have a Frizzle x Frizzle? (Updated Pic)

Quote:
Thanks Woodland....I think she's a beauty too, but then I'm kinda biased
cool.png
Everytime I go out to visit with my chicks, I see her and say, "Awwww, there's my pretty Fiona"
roll.png
What am I gonna do if Fiona turns out to be Freddy...
gig.gif

Quote:
The smooth do have the frizzle gene(its recessive) It doent have to show to be there. You can breed frizzle to frizzle if you know what generation your dealing with.(most people dont, They usually get some frizzles from somewhere and dont know how they have been bred)Thats why They say not to breed frizzle to frizzle. You can breed 1st 2cd and 3rd generations frizzle to frizzle and NOT get a curly! After the 3rd you will get curlys if breeding frizzle to frizzle.Now you can breed 1st 2cd and 3rd generation smooths to frizzle and on the 4th breed smooth to smooth and you can get a few frizzles!
As for the over frizzled rooster breeding straight feathered hens and getting 100% frizzle...
hu.gif
The straight feathered bird is going to add in her genes and pull down the frizzle gene 1/4...i dont think that will equal 100% frizzles.
Im not an expert but this is what I have found to be true. If anyone has bred frizzle to frizzle and absolutly know what generation your birds were and you got a curly I would like to know.
Ok,I dont know if I made any sense at all!
lol.png
Its hard trying to explane all that in a post.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Frizzle is incompletely dominant, not recessive. Incompletely dominant basically means that there is a dosing affect: one copy (F,f) displays less than two copies (F,F).

A bird with two copies is referred to as a curly, and the feathers tend to be very brittle and break. A bird without visible frizzling does not carry the gene.

That said, there is a recessive frizzle modifying gene, mf. If, and only if, a bird has two copies of this modifying gene, frizzling is reduced--sometimes to the point that a het frizzle (F,f) has little visible appearance of frizzling and a hom frizzle (aka a curley, (F,F)) has the appearance of an unmodified het frizzle.

This was not wrote by me. Copied and pasted for you to read.

breed smooth ( a bird that is out of frizzling parentage
not a straight which has no frizzle genetics.) to a frizzle (full blown feathering that is frizzle)
will give at least 1/2 frizzle and 1/2 smooths and NO curlies ie extreme frizzle.
Now when one has bred frizzle to smooth for several yrs at least 5 YES you can breed smooth to smooth
and get some frizzles. Small percentage.
The smooths have a modifier gene for frizzling it may be recessive but it is there.
now when breeding a straight feather bird ie: no frizzle gene to a Frizzle( full blown frizzle feathers) you will get a percentage of frizzles and the smooth only have 1/2 frizzle gene in F-1
so then you can breed the frizzle back to a frizzle for about three yrs and in the 4th gneration stop breeding frizzle to frizzle. The genes are set and dominant, in the f-2 & f-3 generation all smooths are getting towards full frizzle genes modifiers.
you see they only pick up 1/4 frizzle genetics each generation.
do not breed back to a straight as it demerits the frizzle gene and adds more straight feathered genes in the pool.
As for male and female it does not determine the sex just the amount of frizzling.
to those that have not bred frizzles and kept records as I have well I guess you all just got to take my
word for it. The original question was:
If I breed a smooth frizzle to a frizzle will I get a curly or a regular frizzle?
I'm wondering since the smooth frizzle already carries the frizzle gene.
Answer
No you will not get any curly's ie extreme frizzles. You will only get frizzle FF & smooth ff.
so go for it. extreme frizzle ie: curlies are birds that the frizzling has been done for several generations and has made the frizzle feathering tight narrow and wet looking. and the birds may not even have 25 feather folicle holes to grow feathers. a waste of space and money and got to be disposed of. neither heat or cold can it withstand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom