Do I have a rooster??

annabelle08

Songster
5 Years
Mar 6, 2016
My Black Copper Maran chicks are 11 weeks old.. They have been introduced to my two older chickens with war from the older ones, so I have them living separated in the same yard. My question is: I had heard that if a chick has her tail down that it is a rooster. One of mine keeps its tail down all the time. It has no wattle to speak of, very short comb, ear lobes are same as the other one. I'm just concerned that she might be a "he". Any ideas??

image0.jpeg

My Black Copper Maran chicks are 11 weeks old.. They have been introduced to my two older chickens with war from the older ones, so I have them living separated in the same yard. My question is: I had heard that if a chick has her tail down that it is a rooster. One of mine keeps its tail down all the time. It has no wattle to speak of, very short comb, ear lobes are same as the other one. I'm just concerned that she might be a "he". Any ideas??
The way a bird holds it's tail is really not relevant to it's gender especially as a chick.. and so whoever told you that is mistaken.

Marans are extremely easy to sex usually early on.. and most certainly by your stated age.. I've never yet been in question. Around 12 weeks saddle feathers should START showing up pointy..
1601582880881.png

Marans is also always said with S at the end after the French town they hail from, for informational purposes. Also they don't earn their hen or rooster badges technically until the reach one year old. Before that they are called pullet and cockerel.. when discussing relevant things like health, nutrition, behavior, etc. My family still casually says hen and roo in every day conversation though. :)

Both are very much pullets according to color pattern and comb/wattle development if stated age is accurate! :celebrate

Were you wanting or needing a rooster? The one with it's tail down looking is missing a couple tail feathers.. maybe part of the reason it looks that way.

Back
Top Bottom