1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I have a Runt?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BigDEEZ, Jul 8, 2007.

1. BigDEEZ

BigDEEZ New Egg

Jul 8, 2007
    About 3 months ago I bought 3 peking ducks 2 RIR roosters and 4 RIR hens all were chicks about 1-7 days old. Everyone is growing just fine except for one of the hens. She has always been a little smaller then the rest but now that I have put them in the coop about 5 weeks ago she is about 1/2 the size of the rest????? I see her eating along with the rest??? I was just wondering if there is such thing as a runt or a midget chicken??? It just looks funny seeing this smaller chick running around with the rest..... Any ideas or do I have the only one around. [​IMG]

Thanks

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I had the same thing happen with my 2 blk australorps. I figured it was either a runt or a bantam. We call her midget. She should be called tuffy though because she acts like she plans to make the top of the pecking order.

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I have a miniature bantam cochin that is about half the size of the other bantam cochins she hatched with. She eats and behaves normally and seems very happy. Some chickens just don't produce enough growth hormone. Its harmless (unless you're in the broiler business) and shouldn't cause any problems. Sometimes these smaller birds catch up but some will be small forever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by