Do I have a sick/ill bird?

chickadee007

Chirping
Feb 7, 2015
Waynesville, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
Newer flock owner here, I hope someone can help with their opinion.
I have a speckled sussex that is is about 27 weeks old. The last several days to a week I've noticed when she is sitting still with the others (hiding in a bush, standing in front of the door etc), she will close her eyes and raise her head and open her mouth repeatedly. She also has very pale poo on her feathers near her vent (I've noticed watery poo in the coop I think is from her). I attached photos of a month ago vs now (I was trying to tell if her comb was more pale or not. Her skin on her feet are not yellow so it's hard to compare her to the others). Her comb is very small but I guess you could say it is a little more pale than normal. Otherwise, she is eating, drinking and walking around with the others just as normal as ever. Is this something I should be concerned about? What should I do? She won't allow me to touch or pick her up, none of them will.

No new chickens in the flock. I have had all of them since July 4th. I've never treated any of them for anything, everyone has always seemed healthy. In addition to fresh water I also offer a quart of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (Bragg - organic - raw). They have access to organic feed my local organic farmer mixes for me (been eating for several months), grit and oyster shell. I give them sunflower seeds (raw, unsalted) in the morning and a treat of meal worms in the afternoon. No one has layed their first egg yet.

this morning - my little Dottie (speckled sussex) raising her head with her mouth open.

a few days ago - my little Dottie on the right

my flock about 3 weeks ago..from left - Lucky (Brahma 36 weeks), Dottie (Speckled Sussex 27 weeks), Kramer (Sultan Roo 36 weeks) and Miss Kitty (Cream Legbar 27 weeks).

Wow! It sounds like you are doing everything that you can! I would keep monitoring her, and if she gets any worse, I would take her to the vet.

Is she overweight at all? Does she have any signs of a respiratory infection, such as gasping, sneezing, wheezing, or a runny nose? Have you wormed your flock? There are some worms that can affect breathing (capillary worms,) so youj may want to worm her with Safeguard liquid goat wormer 1/4 cc or ml per pound of weight for 5 straight days. Or yoj could have several of her droppings checked by your vet with a fecal float. Make sure that your coop has good overhead ventilation, keep dust down, prevent ammonia odors from droppings, and prevent mold by keeping bedding dry and clean.

I'm not sure how to tell if she is overweight. She is the same age as the cream legbar but she is definitely bigger. I've not seen any gasping, sneezing, wheezing or runny nose.
I've never wormed my flock. Can I mix the Safeguard in with the water? Is it ok to worm all of them if that's the case? Thank You

In just looked outside & she is laying on the ground. She can't walk. She has a baseball size tumor to the right of her chest that is somewhat squishy. I'm guessing it's an impacted crop. I massaged it & I'm on my way to het dewormer. Not sure what else to do.

No. don't put SafeGuard in the water--it needs to be given orally to each bird slowly a few drops at a time while holding the wattles or chin feathers down. Release after a few drops so that the bird can swallow, then give more. Weight can be checked by feeling the breast bone or keel--it shouldn't be too prominent, but you should be able to feel it. It does sound as though her crop may be enlarged, sour, or pendulous. Others are better at giving advice about impacted and sour crop than I am. The crop may be slow to empty due to other reasons. Is there any sour or bad odor near her beak? You will want to give her water and massage several times today to see if it will empty. Plain yogurt can be good for a crop issue, but I would withhold grains and solid food today, and see how she is tomorrow. Here are some articles about treating crops, and I would read them all before proceeding as there can be many different opinions on how to treat this:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/digestive-problems/index.aspx
https://poultrykeeper.com/digestive-system-problems/impacted-crop/

We ended up culling her last night. She was never able to stand back up, could only lift her head. I don't know if it was only from being weak or most likely from the crop. I think it had been impacted for a while. I know this is part of chicken keeping but with her being my first I'm taking this pretty hard. I found my Roo in the woods last night roosting, apparently he gave up looking for her (so sweet). My three are looking for her this morning :(.
Thank you everyone that responded. I now need to learn about how to better handle this in the future.

Back
Top Bottom