Do I have a weird roo?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by fluffychickens, Dec 10, 2010.

1. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    OK we have a trash can laying on it's side with fake eggs in it and my roo Ari will go in and cluck,roll the eggs,and sit on them. Ari looks like he is either trying to lay an egg or go broody.And I know he is a roo beacause I've seen him crow. Is he just really confused?

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yes, he is confused, or really, really wants to have chicks of his own someday.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    He's trying to convince one of the hens to come sit the nest like he thinks they are supposed to.

4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    yup my roos do that to!

5. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] That would be histarical (sp?) to see!!

6. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    My roo did that when he was alive...[​IMG]

7. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Maybe he's just trying to be an awesome father [​IMG] Little does he know his "children" are fake

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's a common rooster behavior, it is their inviting and help in making a nest for a hen so she can lay an egg. He would do it regardless of if there are fake eggs there or not. [​IMG]

9. GotChicken?

GotChicken? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    The Thumb, MI
    All my roos do that, but my Silkie roo is especially kooky about it. He'll go to his favorite nest spot, the NE corner of the coop, and bury himself down several inches in the litter. He'll growl like a dog as he does this, and keeps this behavior up for at least several minutes. Of course, I "help" him by dumping litter on top of him so he's almost completely buried. Instead of a rooster, I end up with a growling mound of leaves and wood shavings that has two beady black eyes glazed in some sort of weird internal joy. He's an odd one, no doubt about that.

10. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Awww...I think that is so sweet!!! I haven't seen my roo do this yet, but he is only 5 months old so maybe that is why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by