Do I have an Australorp Rooster?

ryeguy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 25, 2012
One of our two Australorps happens to be my favorite of all our chickens. However, I'm wondering if it's a he and not a she. Compared to the other Australorp he/she is bigger and the comb is definitely larger and more developed. We got them from Meyer and they weren't straight-run. At this point there are 6 months old. I've yet to catch either Australorps in the act of laying, but I know at least one of them have to be.

Here's the possible Roo:

Here's the for-sure Hen for comparison:

Any thoughts?

They're both hens. The first one is just growing faster (she's probably more dominant and gets more food).

I see all hens in your pictures. Just like humans, chickens develop at different rates. Your slower girl will catch up, and it's likely that first girl who is laying.

She looks just like my two BA hens and just like yours - one of mine developed faster and has remained a bit larger than her sister. Very sweet chickens, docile and friendly. Plus, the smaller one is the protector of my little bantam. My LBs pick on my bantam but not when Mattie is around.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the responses. The Australorps are my favorites. They seem to be he friendliest of all the breeds we have.

Back
Top Bottom