Do i have Mallards or Rouens??? updated pics added page 4!

It should work on adults since a Mallard is a light class duck and Rouens are heavy class. Look at the leg placement on Sonny! Those to the rear legs remind me of Runners!

Last edited:
Quote:
The drakes don't get their colors or tail feathers until they are at least 4 months old. If you pick them up, you can judge by the sound. By 8 weeks at most, a female will make a loud 'whacking' sound, a male will still be peeping.

Another way I have noticed with mine is that the males (rouens) will get a white bar across the front of their necks when they start getting their feathers, the females don't get these.

I have 3 that are quacking loudly so those are females so the other 4 are peeping hhhhmmmm looks like i have alot of males
barnie.gif

Are the females generally bigger than the males?
The 3 that quack are bigger than the others these are cayugas.

Wifezilla my cayugas are getting small patches of green on them it's beautiful
love.gif

I just love the beetle green sheen of the Cayugas green is my favorite color.
Yes it doe's seem to glow in the sun and i agree they are very beautiful!

i know it's probably way to early to tell but, my mallard (i think) ducklings are about 2 weeks old and one of them when i pick it up screams it's cute little head off until i put it down and it does the same thing when i pick the other one up. My 2nd duckling when i pick it up only peeps a little bit and when i take the other one out of the brooder it only peeps a little again.

!Question!
Is the one who screams bloody murder maybe a female? and is the one who's quiet maybe a male?

fl.gif
*i'm hoping for a boy and a girl since they're my only duckies also it would make it easier to tell them apart once they're older*
fl.gif

Are you sure they're not mallards because my mom overheard someone on the phone say someone had a question about the mallards when we were there getting these guys.

*I really want these guys to be mallards because in 4-H rouen is a market duck breed.*

Back
Top Bottom