Do I have mites? what to do?

Lice on poultry will come in contact with the blood from scabs they have made. Also with the pour on the dead skin they feed on will have ivomec in it.

Lice on poultry will come in contact with the blood from scabs they have made. Also with the pour on the dead skin they feed on will have ivomec in it.
I can *guarantee* you that if I go find a bird with lice right now and treat it with ivermectin that it will have lice in the next three days. Ivermectin does not work on feather lice! I'll sell you my bottle, cheap, lol.

-Kathy

....and I can guarantee that I have found lice on my hens more than once. I treated them with Ivomec Eprinex pour on for cattle..... And I can guarantee the lice were gone the next afternoon.....

However, I will admit that while I am sure my hens had lice, I am not sure EXACTLY what type of lice they were......

Last edited:
Ivermectin travels through the bloodstream, not dead tissue. It won't do anything for lice. You don't "pour" ivermectin on birds anyway. Topical ivermectin like Eprinex is a spot treatment at strategic areas of the bird's anatomy.

....and I can guarantee that I have found lice on my hens more than once. I treated them with Ivomec Eprinex pour on for cattle..... And I can guarantee the lice were gone the next afternoon.....

However, I will admit that while I am sure my hens had lice, I am not sure EXACTLY what type of lice they were......

What you guarantee can be proven not effective treatment by many people keeping poultry for many years, so knock off the misinformation. Here's some real info for the original poster, just as I mentioned: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

You know I really wanted it to be effective on feather lice, it just isn't and now I have a whole bottle of ivermectin that will just go to waste.
th.gif

-Kathy

There are several posts on this site where many folks have discussed the use of different types of Ivermectin. Including ridding chickens of lice and worms.

You do not have the right to tell me to knock off the "misinformation".

Ivomec Eprinex worked on my hens. Let the OP decide how to use any or all of the advice given.

There are several posts on this site where many folks have discussed the use of different types of Ivermectin. Including ridding chickens of lice and worms.

Ivomec Eprinex worked on my hens. Let the OP decide how to use any or all of the advice given.
Those same folks wouldnt know the difference between a louse or mite if they were sitting on the front of their nose. All types of ivermectin and eprinex are off label to chickens. Cattle lice BITE and SUCK blood off cattle, chicken lice DO NOT bite and suck blood...host specific. Chicken lice are opportunists and WILL feed off blood from a scratch for example.Otherwise chicken lice feed on feathers, dander, skin.
Read the 4th paragraph under "CHEWING LICE."
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Last edited:

I call it as I, and a University Division of Agriculture would call it. If you want to argue simply for your own desire to get attention, please take it elsewhere. The Op deserves helpful information that will remedy the problem.

Back
Top Bottom