Do I have the pickiest chickens on the planet?

My chooks much prefer spinach and chard to lettuce, too, but I'm very glad I've gotten them more interested in lettuce, recently, because there is so much oxylate in spinach, kale, chard, & beet greens that it can be damaging to their health, I have read. I try not to give them much of those.

My chooks much prefer spinach and chard to lettuce, too, but I'm very glad I've gotten them more interested in lettuce, recently, because there is so much oxylate in spinach, kale, chard, & beet greens that it can be damaging to their health, I have read. I try not to give them much of those.
I've never heard that, but it's an interesting thought. Iceberg lettuce is probably the best. Mine really like romaine
_MG_4392.jpg
My chicks love everything, as do my full grown chickens.

I have read that iceberg lettuce causes them to get diarrheah, for some reason, unlike the other lettuces. For that reason, I have not given my chooks iceberg. Mine love romaine, too.

I always felt that iceberg lettuce was of minimal nutritional value. It just seems like it's half water, and the other half is bred to maintain good looks through storage, handling and transportation and to look real nice on the produce counter... sort of like white bread, nutritional value is an afterthought concern in the product development cycle.

I think romaine is somewhat better...

Of the spring mix greens, my chooks seek out the arugula first. I think they like its spiciness. They also love bits of endive.

I always felt that iceberg lettuce was of minimal nutritional value. It just seems like it's half water, and the other half is bred to maintain good looks through storage, handling and transportation and to look real nice on the produce counter... sort of like white bread, nutritional value is an afterthought concern in the product development cycle.

I think romaine is somewhat better...

Good to know! I don't really give them iceberg lettuce. We buy romaine hearts I think it's called... They like the greenest of greens, so their favourite is most definitely spinach. Especially the baby spinach.

My chickens groove on blueberries and watermelon,

By the way, with the warm winter, I've heard that organic strawberries should soon be available at a good price in the stores. They did very well and aren't as expensive as they usually are. My girls love strawberries, so I can't wait!

Oh, I bought them some yogurt the other day. I forgot about it. I think I will go give them a treat of it now.

Back
Top Bottom