Do I have to kill him??

CountyGirl12

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2015
My duck has splinted legs I guess that's what it is. He can't stand good, can't walk at all, has to put his wings down to keep his balance. He's a pekin duck. I have to move the food and water over to him, he can't move to it on his own that's how bad it is. I've let me swim so he can build some strength in his legs, he swims fine. If we can't get this fixed soon we will have to kill him :( would he be suffering? I don't want that for him. What homemade thing can I do to help him. There is no vet we can take him to around here. Any ideas? :(

How old is your duck? Was it born this way? Could be a simple fix if it is still young. If it's older, then I don't think there is much you can do at this point.

He's around 3 months old. And I honestly don't remember. I think he was fine when he was younger, with the yellow down still. I'm not sure though. I got him and the other 2 at TSC. The other 2 are fine. And that nichan stuff is in the food I'm feeding them.

How old is your duck?  Was it born this way?  Could be a simple fix if it is still young.  If it's older, then I don't think there is much you can do at this point.

1f446-1f3fc.png
1f446-1f3fc.png

He's around 3 months old. And I honestly don't remember. I think he was fine when he was younger, with the yellow down still. I'm not sure though. I got him and the other 2 at TSC. The other 2 are fine. And that nichan stuff is in the food I'm feeding them.
It still may not be enough niacin. some ducklings just need more than others. At 3 weeks old he can have about 300mgs of plain niacin to 1 gal of water. never leave him in water with out supervision . Your other 2 would benefit from it too.

what have u been feeding him

when ducks get older they dont need as much protein as they did in the first 3 weeks and with over amount of protein ducks usually have wing or leg problems that can be dangerous

Even if niacin is in the food, it may not be enough. Ducklings need three times the niacin that chicks do. He may have needed the extra niacin.

So what you can do is follow Miss Lydia's advice, and once or twice a week also give poultry vitamins. Nutritional problems can take weeks to resolve. Give him a chance. Please try the niacin. In fact, give him a Super B Complex supplement. Read the label. For every 25 mg of niacin in a pill, use a quart of water. So if it has 25 mg niacin in the pill, add that to a quart of water for him to drink.

Back
Top Bottom