Do I have to starve them before dispatching?

Quote:
Thanks. That was refreshing. I am a big animal person, I cry when someone else's dog dies. But my chickens are my food. I treat them well, make sure they have a decent life and when its their time, say a little prayer, then make it quick and as painless as possible. Thank God for the good food and don't waste any of it. I don't starve them, but do take the food away the afternoon before and do the dispatch first thing in the morning.

If you restrict the feed before processing it makes things a lot cleaner, and why bother wasting all that feed sitting in their crops? Less fecal matter for you to deal with, especially if you're new at processing, and you're saving your precious feed. I pulled my feed mid-afternoon the day before they were processed. I only had a few poopers.

Quote:
Same here. I say, those birds are making the ultimate sacrifice so we can eat, why not make it as gentle as possible for them? I am practical about the fact that if the birds being raised for meat, that is what they will be, no making pets out of them, but I want to make sure they don't suffer any while we/they are at it. I didn't have any problems with the butchering process with birds that had eaten that morning.

Back
Top Bottom