Do I have too many roosters?

Ruby roost

Chirping
Jul 3, 2020
I currently have a flock of 14 birds that are all about 9 weeks old, they have been raised together from the day we brought them home from the TSC. I have 2 Buff Orpington pullets, 2 Road Island Red pullets, 2 Seabright Bantam pullets, 1 Brown Leghorn Bantam pullet, 1 Brown Leghorn Bantam rooster and 6 white silkies (4 are roosters and 2 are pullets) I have 5 roosters and 9 pullets total, I think this ratio is a bit off but wanted to get everyone’s opinion as to if they think it might work because of the breed of roosters I have?
image.jpg

It might, might work out if all the roosters are exceptionally calm and non-aggressive, but the odds are definitely slanted against you on this one; even if they did all get along, the over-mating of the girls by the boys would wear their back feathers out fast.
I think you'd do better by only keeping one or two roosters.
If you have more than one coop you could keep a bachelor flock separately?

It all depends on the rooster. My biggest flock for a long time was 5 hens and at one point 2 roosters. My other flocks are all trios and one of 4 hens (used to be 2, but kept some of the pullets) and a male. Only one bird has ever had a bald back from my larger group and she's my only one like that

I personally would be reluctant to keep even 2 roosters with only 9 hens.

Why do you want any roosters at all? Do you want to be raising chicks?
Raising chicks isn't the only reason to keep a rooster. They are excellent protectors and will give their life protecting their ladies.

I currently have a flock of 14 birds that are all about 9 weeks old, they have been raised together from the day we brought them home from the TSC. I have 2 Buff Orpington pullets, 2 Road Island Red pullets, 2 Seabright Bantam pullets, 1 Brown Leghorn Bantam pullet, 1 Brown Leghorn Bantam rooster and 6 white silkies (4 are roosters and 2 are pullets) I have 5 roosters and 9 pullets total, I think this ratio is a bit off but wanted to get everyone’s opinion as to if they think it might work because of the breed of roosters I have?View attachment 2238361
Roos can get along well together if raised from a young age and if they have the right temperment. They may need to have a few scuffles to establish a pecking order, but as long as no blood is drawn and the scuffles aren't overly prolonged, they should be alright in that regard. Overmating would probably be a problem, but it depends on how zealous about mating your roos are. If the dominant doesn't let any others mate that could cause more conflict but would certainly prevent over-mating. Every chicken is an individual and silkies are usually calm friendly birds as far as I can glean from those who've had them, so you may luck out on temperment. Just wait and see what happens, and be prepared to seperate should it get ugly. You may want to get more hens if you plan on keeping all 5. My mother did have 4 roos with 2 hens for a while, but that was when they were younger. So far her hens have avoided getting mated with much at all, despite the roos best efforts! She got a half-dozen more hens, and lost a few, so now she has 3 roos and 6 hens. They get along just fine.

Roos can get along well together if raised from a young age and if they have the right temperment. They may need to have a few scuffles to establish a pecking order, but as long as no blood is drawn and the scuffles aren't overly prolonged, they should be alright in that regard. Overmating would probably be a problem, but it depends on how zealous about mating your roos are. If the dominant doesn't let any others mate that could cause more conflict but would certainly prevent over-mating. Every chicken is an individual and silkies are usually calm friendly birds as far as I can glean from those who've had them, so you may luck out on temperment. Just wait and see what happens, and be prepared to seperate should it get ugly. You may want to get more hens if you plan on keeping all 5. My mother did have 4 roos with 2 hens for a while, but that was when they were younger. So far her hens have avoided getting mated with much at all, despite the roos best efforts! She got a dozen more hens, and lost a few, so now she has 3 roos and 6 hens. They get along just fine.
a half-dozen***

Back
Top Bottom