Do I help it?

ChicksinFL

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
For approx eight hrs now one egg has has a hole in it the size of an pencil eraser. We can see the chick inside opening irs beak and chirping. It is not trying to "unzip"is at all does it need help?

NO!!! dont help... I know its hard.. but leave it be and sometimes they will make it and sometimes they dont.. if they dont there is a reason..

there have been many many ppl that have helped just to find out the chick was not quite ready and they lost the chick .. or they helped and the chick was deformed and then they had to cull anyway..

Thank you.... my daughters have been freaking out for the past couple hours so I thought I better ask.

Quote:
Well I know you are probably right but I had was hatching 5 eggs and two of the chicks were sitting there for 8 hours each and so I decided to help it and figured out they started to shrink wrap a little. I helped them just were they needed it and let them do the rest. All five chicks are now 5 weeks old. If I didn't help those two chicks they probably would be dead. For no reason.

Quote:
Well I know you are probably right but I had was hatching 5 eggs and two of the chicks were sitting there for 8 hours each and so I decided to help it and figured out they started to shrink wrap a little. I helped them just were they needed it and let them do the rest. All five chicks are now 5 weeks old. If I didn't help those two chicks they probably would be dead. For no reason.

i am not saying they ALL DIE but most times it does not turn out well

Last edited:
Quote:

i am not saying they ALL DIE but most times it does not turn out well

Yeah, I understand that.

Quote:
WOW! THIRTY HOURS!!

That is a good point about if I can see his beak he's got air. Here is a link to the live stream video of him.. http://kpchickens.hopto.org:86/flash.html the image isn't great because the lights are off but you can still see him if you look close.

Last edited:
I would leave him, keep an eye out on him but let him do it on his own. He's got to learn to grow up. lol... I have had one that cracked but sat in the egg for over 24 hours, after 24 hours the crack got a little bit bigger, this guy was in NO rush to getting out.. In fact, all of the others came out after he cracked he was second to last to make it and second to start cracking, but he finally did it. If you help him now you risk the chances of the other eggs getting shrink wrapped, unless you don't have any others?? But I would give him more time, as long as you can see him breath he should be OK but after a couple of days if he hasn't gotten out I would then intervee..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom