Do I help out or not?

Awesome results. Congrats on your chicky, most of the time when I read threads like this they turn out badly.

jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif

I am also very pleased with a happy ending. And, Pria, I did not mean to upset you with my comment. If I offended, I am sorry. We each have our own goals and if yours are met, I'm happy for you.

Ridgerunner, I think you stated your opinion in a nice way...lots of times, threads such as these go badly because someone posts their opinion without regard for the opinion on the other side of the coin. We can all take a lesson from how you stated what you did, and I do not think the OP was offended. Kudos to you (and, by the way, I agree, 100%, with your posts. I do not help...even though it's hard. I do not want to encourage late or weak hatchers...but everyone has their ways). Glad you are happy with your results, pria!
smile.png

Though you do want a chick who is strong enough to push out on its own, I have an issue on occasion with certain hens' chicks growing too large for the egg. Meg is one example. She is from exhibition stock, hence a very large bird, and when mated with my huge Blue Orpington, Suede, produces humongous chicks. Even though she lays extra large to jumbo eggs, these babies are just little tanks!

Quote:
Dont be a silly billy, Im not upset. I was just pointing out that in the past Ive had some stunning birds from chicks Ive helped hatch. Ive also had some that I have had to cull soon after the hatch. I just cant help think if theyve got that far, I need to give them a bit of a chance.

Thanks to everyone for the lovely comments. My little trio are doing great, but are a little too active to get any pics (which Ive been trying to do for the last hour).
roll.png

Now I just need to get on with worrying about; are they warm enough, are they eating/drinking etc
wink.png

Thanks again xx

Quote:
Think this was the case here!

The chick I helped is huge in comparison to the other two born the day before. It is the healthiest chick I have ever had and is absolutely thriving.

Wanted to add this to show that sometimes it really does pay to help.

4 days
chicks001.jpg

10 days
chicks006.jpg

Quote:
I have the same issue with my exhibition cornish. I did not help a chick last hatch, and have been shaking my head over it since. We hatch again on the 20th, we'll see what happens this time.

Oooh good luck with the next hatch. Will keep my eyes open for your news.

Im so glad I helped out this time!

Since this seems to be a possible issue with the bator I would see nothing wrong with the chick and no problem helping and adding them to my breeding flock. Sometimes things get too dry or a chick just happens not to get into the right position even though it's actually normal and healthy. I've popped the end off a few zipped eggs to find a healthy chick that either wasn't in position to push or the membrane dried and it couldn't push. Incubators are not good broody hens and subject to more error than the chicks would normally have to deal with.

If your continually having problems I would run the humidity higher despite what the humidity gauge tells you. Some people find higher humidity works better for their climate or bator than others. Some love dry incubation but for me anything under 40% incubating or 60% hatching results in a much lower hatch rate.

DONT help the chick out!!!!! we tried helping a chick out of its egg on day 28, and it ended up dying because its yoak sack wasnt fully absorbed. My advice to you would be just let nature take its course, if the chick isnt strong enough to get out of the egg itself, it either has somthing wrong with it or it probably wouldnt be strong enough to live. Its hard to leave it be, but its a horrible feeling to help a chick out of an egg and then have it die:(

Back
Top Bottom