Do I move them?

Sheralan

Hatching
Apr 29, 2022
18DF410C-21B6-49F7-BB27-EE8481E0AAD4.jpeg

I’m very new to all this and need help/advice. These two hens decided to brood together. I have five hens total and made five nesting areas in the turkey coop but the turkeys are as good as my goats at sticking with plans. Now both their clutches are hatching! Should I move one hen and some of the chicks? And do I wait until I think the hatching is done? And should I close off each area I put them in (or if the consensus is to leave them together, close off the one area they’re in) so the other turkey hens can’t get to them? I have no idea if the other hens will hurt the poults or not.

My co brooders either shared or one stayed with unhatched eggs.
When I tried to lock up hen with poults in an 8x8, poults were trampled. None of mine have hurt another's poult, but others have had.
I didn’t even think of trampling. I have so much to learn. I let the other hens out to free range on the acreage for a bit until I can figure out what to do, but one will want back in soon as she’s broody herself and has a clutch in a different nest in there. I am worried because I don’t think the mama hens are real protective because yesterday my chickens killed two poults. I felt so terrible. I have it so the chickens can’t get in the turkey pen now.

I’m just not sure if I leave them alone and let them figure it out? Or if I separate and enclose them in a small area for a few days and risk them getting trampled?

Back
Top Bottom