Do I need a chicken door between Coop and Run?

Pixelsaurus

Chirping
Apr 24, 2020
So we have quite the fortress of a chicken run. Hardware cloth all around the run including skirting under the soil around the perimeter. Half of the roof is metal. The other half we initially had just bird netting, but then upgraded to chicken wire - then added corrugated plastic roofing (primarily to shield the rain).

We put the chickens out in May and have been using just a piece of wood and a brick to cover up the opening between the coop and run. We have been researching automatic coop doors, but then I thought, do I really need one?

Attached are photos of the run. Any recommendations?

Ginger
Coop DeVille Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Attachments

• 05-08_Ramp&Door.jpg
    05-08_Ramp&Door.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 5-18_CoopRamp.jpg
    5-18_CoopRamp.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8503.jpg
    IMG_8503.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 05-18_RunBirdNetting2.jpg
    05-18_RunBirdNetting2.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Depends on your area and the directions of prevailing winds. The one time I close my door to the coop is when a blizzard is going and snow is blow in. Otherwise I don't close mine as the run is pretty secure.

I only know of two reasons to close the chicken coop while the chickens are in it at night: to keep them safe from predators, or to keep them inside the coop for some reason the next day. (If you need to catch them, you might want them shut in. If they have been laying eggs in the wrong place, you might want them shut in until they lay eggs in the right place. Reasons like that.)

If you think that predators might get into the run at night, then you need a secure door on that opening to keep them safe. Automatic or not, it needs to be secure. (I don't see a picture of your wood + brick method of closing, so I do not know how secure it is--might be fine, might not.)

If you are sure that no predators can get in the run, then I would just leave that space open most nights, so they can go into the run as soon as they wake up.

If your run is a fortress they'll be OK and you'll have good peace of mind without having to worry about letting them out and putting them in.

I only have a simple temporary door between my coop and run that let's me get in the coop to clean it out without interference.

YAY for you for building a run that will protect your flock! I think it's TOTALLY the way to go.

My in-town setup had a hardened run so I never closed the door except in emergencies -- such as when doing repairs after a predator had challenged but not defeated my run wire -- and when keeping them in the run so I could clean the coop. If you don't have a door it's harder to clean because they get curious and try to jump out the access into the wheelbarrow.

I want to do the same with the new setup but will add electric wire to enhance the protection due to a higher predator load.

Thanks everyone!
I feel kinda silly running out at sunrise to put that low-tech brick and board up. The only thing it does it keep the chickens in. A predator could totally get in IF my run wasn't secure. Given I have gone 4+ months with no issues, I think I pretty safe to not invest in an automatic door.
Ginger

Depends on your area and the directions of prevailing winds. The one time I close my door to the coop is when a blizzard is going and snow is blow in. Otherwise I don't close mine as the run is pretty secure.
That is a good point. Fortunately the opening isn't drafty and opens on the opposite side from prevailing winds. And we have a scrap of the metal roof attached to the outside like an awning (see photo). So bring on the snow, we should be good :cool:

We have had our chickens for over 3 + years. No breaches of the secure run. There is a side run that is not secure. We lost 3 of six pullets two months ago to some predator. We have recently seen fox, hawks, raccoons and maybe a bobcat on security cameras. All evaluating the secure run.

So, I am going back to closing and locking the pop door. It is probably not necessary, but will not hurt. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom