Do I need a heat lamp?

happylittlehens

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
Utah
We just bought 4 RIR chicks that are about 1 week old I’m guessing. They are in the garage right now in a brooder box. With it being around 100 degrees outside, the garage stays around 85-90 degrees. Do I still need a heat lamp?

What is the temp at night?
I’m not sure yet. I’d guess around 80. That’s about what my house is when I turn the air off at night. I’ll keep an eye on their thermometer tonight and bring in the heat lamp just in case. What temp should they be at for 1 week old? It’s been about 5 years since we’ve had chicks. I just don’t want to overheat them!

Watch your chicks. Are they huddling? Peeping loudly? Acting lethargic or anything? You don't need a heat lamp during the day for sure, and I'd question it at night if it's in the 80 degree range. They may benefit more from a MHP, wool hen, or huddle box. If you do decide to use a lamp, make sure they have enough space to get away from the heat if needed. I used a MHP this year for the first time, and it was great! The chicks have the option of going under the heating pad or not. They can decide when they need heat.

With the last set of chicks I have that are almost a month old I kept the light high up and only on half of the tote they was in so they could go out if they got hot.
I would try the light off and if they got really loud it would turn it back on it made them happy.
I did move mine out in a dog kennel thing the other ladies can not get to them at 2 weeks old. No light where the night have been high 70's and they did well.

Summer chicks i found out are a lot easier then early spring where if us is cold still like here I kept mine in a lot longer

Watch your chicks. Are they huddling? Peeping loudly? Acting lethargic or anything? You don't need a heat lamp during the day for sure, and I'd question it at night if it's in the 80 degree range. They may benefit more from a MHP, wool hen, or huddle box. If you do decide to use a lamp, make sure they have enough space to get away from the heat if needed. I used a MHP this year for the first time, and it was great! The chicks have the option of going under the heating pad or not. They can decide when they need heat.

They aren’t lethargic. They’re sleeping in pairs but not huddle together. No loud chirping. The thermometer is at 87 in the brooder. They seem fine! So I’ll watch if the temp drops tonight and put the lamp on them. Thanks! I may have to look into the heating pad. That’s a good idea.

28E359D0-3785-40BB-9E01-467359666A44.jpeg

I think they'll be OK. The whole, “They need to be at this temp for a week, then lower it 5* a week” thing is a recommendation, not a life or death thing. I have observed with the MHP that they don’t need to be constantly heated. The chicks I raised this year were the healthiest I’ve ever had. Since it’s plenty warm where you are, it would be good for them to have the option of going under it or not. I think you’ll find they barely use it.

Back
Top Bottom