Do I need a predator apron if my coop is sitting on cinderblock foundation?

Gertie Greenbriar

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2020
Orient, Ohio
Hello everyone.

So I am renovating an old outbuilding style shed/barn into my chicken coop. It is about 10x15 in size. I was wondering if I need a predator apron to keep digging predators out. The inside of the coop is dirt floor, but the footer, or whatever it is called, (what the building sits on around the perimeter) consists of cinderblocks and filled with concrete. See photo for a better idea of what I am trying to explain. So, since they are burried 15-20 inches under the ground, do I need a predator apron?

Thanks!!! :)
20200329_113348.jpg

Nice! It's a huge help, so watch other areas, as where the building meets that nice foundation. My concrete foundation worked very well until some cracks developed (it was very old!) and then we finally had to add that hardware cloth.
We also had a concrete floor in the coop, and again, cracks in it were a problem.
Mary

Nice! It's a huge help, so watch other areas, as where the building meets that nice foundation. My concrete foundation worked very well until some cracks developed (it was very old!) and then we finally had to add that hardware cloth.
We also had a concrete floor in the coop, and again, cracks in it were a problem.
Mary

Okay, so I should be good for now then it sounds like!? I am repairing the foundation in a few areas where there are some small cracks and such, but overall it is in pretty good shape. On the inside/outside where the wood meets the foundation, the "butting" together is pretty tight. There were a couple places on the inside that had some lifting, but I was able to fasten it again to the concrete. I imagine that should be sufficient to keep out predators?

Thanks, Folly!

Can or will they chew through wood?

There not chewers, but mice are, and a weasel will exploit any hole a mouse or rat creates. Especially if said hole goes into your coop.

I see weasels in my area frequently. Fortunately, i built my coop and run to combat the critters. I've just now have seen mouse droppings in the coop. Time to go over the entire thing to see if there's any chewing going on.

Back
Top Bottom