Do I Need A Rooster In My Laying Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by staggerlee, Feb 28, 2009.

1. staggerlee

staggerlee Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Bear Creek NC
    I have a small flock of 12 laying hens [RIR and rocks]. I had a rir/game mix rooster that we liked along with a dominique and barred rock rooster. the mix flew out of the pen and was lunch for my dog. i then moved the dominique and barred rock roosters to another pen. now my laying flock has no rooster . is this ok or do the hens want the rooster there? also the roosters dont seem to like the solitaire pens and arent eating much . is this bad for them ? seems like i read somewhere that the hens will lay better with a rooster present . is this true ?
    thanks

2. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Can't speak to the emotional needs of the hens, but, no, they don't need a rooster. Maybe they want one, but my girls have been laying up a storm even though I sent their only alpha male of to freezer camp.

Wayne

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    not unles you want babies, but I would imagine those hens would get awefully lonely LMAO

also, should anything ever get into your hens, they look to the rooters to protect them.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would always have a roo with my hens. He protects them, calls them to lunch, warm their nest for laying, he will not take a snack till all the hens have had a snack. He's amazing, he even makes a round at dusk to make sure everyone is in the coop. I would let the girls have the guy.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wouldn't have a flock without a rooster, for all the reasons seminole gave.

6. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i totaly agree, i would always have a rooster. Mine is a great little guy. He calls em to meals, protects teh m and also does his rounds at night to make sure everone is in teh coop.

7. chook pen jen

chook pen jen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Collie W.Australia
    they also break up fights between the girls and make it easier to add new girls to the chook pen . [​IMG]

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    For years I never kept a roo. Always ordered pullet hatchery chicks for egg laying only and didn't want a roo.

Then I got interested in breeding, selling chicks, having rarer breeds and of course started keeping roos. I really enjoy them! Their behaviors and function in the flock are quite interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by