Do I need a separate nesting box from my pekin's sleeping area

Aussie new mum

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Brisbane, Queensland
Hi
I have a coop that has a separate room my baby gets to via a ramp. In the enclosed room I've put a wooden drawer filled with sawdust. She seems to love it and puts herself to bed every night (this is Lolly who I rescued from my neighbour after her other chickens had injured her). I have a new baby called Olivia I am keeping in a large bird cage inside the main coop till they get used to each other.
My question is, Lolly lays during the day in her box then sleeps there at night. I've seen most people talking about a laying area and a separate sleeping area. Is it ok that she lays where she sleeps or do I need a separate area?
Also, when Olivia is grown up, do I need to try and make a separate laying/sleeping area for her?
Thanks
Justine

i dnt think it matters

from the sounds of it, u have the same coop as mine
15198_resized640x480_w1054733243114.jpg

well as long as its safe and for them to feel comfortable to roost in.

mine stays in there to lay and to sleep.
and i heard putting chickens different in age is no good

especially a very young one...
they probably wont get along

Mine sleep in there nesting boxes as well. I wouldn't build something separate as chickens seem to like their routine and how and where they do things. I'd leave it.
smile.png

Thanks so much for that. My coop is similar but with a flat roof. I love yours though. I've seen some wonderful coops online that you can get in the US but we don't have a huge range in Australia unless you build it yourself and we didn't have time to do that when we rescued Lolly. If you have time, could you please tell me how to post a picture like you did - I wanted to put one of my coop on.
Thanks
Justine

Quote:
im from australia too

you post pictures in the UPLOADS link
upload a pic from your computer and then use the link for the "Img" button on your replies/post

Back
Top Bottom