Do I need a vent in my coop even when the door is always open?

Actually an open air coop was my original intention but it seemed too cold for my chickens in the last winter. So I built a smaller coop and move them there.

The farmer I got my chickens from has hers in an open air coop with 3 walls on the grass so I know this breed, Light Sussex, is winter hardy.
My setting early last winter wasn't warm enough though so I'm trying to make sure no one gets sick this winter after it gets cold.

What makes you say that it was too cold last winter? Did the chickens act differently? Did they have health problems of some sort?

What makes you say that it was too cold last winter? Did the chickens act differently? Did they have health problems of some sort?
It suddenly got cold and windy for a few days in the fall and one chicken died and one got sick for a couple of months.
6 chickens went through light molting and stopped laying eggs even though they were only 7 months old and their breed is known for laying through the winter at that age.
Only 2 chickens didn't molt and kept laying.
We couldn't find out why but I suspected the coop being too cold and drafty.
The side walls and the ceiling were not covered enough.

It suddenly got cold and windy for a few days in the fall and one chicken died and one got sick for a couple of months.
6 chickens went through light molting and stopped laying eggs even though they were only 7 months old and their breed is known for laying through the winter at that age.
Only 2 chickens didn't molt and kept laying.
We couldn't find out why but I suspected the coop being too cold and drafty.
The side walls and the ceiling were not covered enough.

Yes, it does sound like more protection is needed. I would focus on blocking actual wind as a first step, because chickens usually stay quite warm inside their feather coats IF they are able to stay where the air is calm. Chicken feathers trap a layer of warm air inside, which is why wind or strong drafts cause trouble: the feathers get ruffled and the warm air escapes.

It can be tricky to provide enough ventilation without having it blow on the chickens, but if there is not enough ventilation you can get sick chickens from that too. That is why people are suggesting ways to have ventilation and air movement but without it being strong enough to disturb the chickens' feathers.

I'm planning to attach a 3'X6' coop to a 6'X8' coop/run.
This covered 6X8 space was originally intended for my chickens to sleep in as well but it's a bit hard to keep it draft free especially around the human door.
So I decided to attach a small space to it for them to roost at night.
The 3'X6' roosting space will be the new coop with one 6 foot long perch in the middle.
The small opening for chickens connecting the coop and the run will be always open as the run is 100 percent predator proof.
So do I still need a vent in the coop?
The run is 8 feet high and mostly covered with plastic but it's definitely full of fresh air.
I'm planning to attach a 3'X6' coop to a 6'X8' coop/run.
This covered 6X8 space was originally intended for my chickens to sleep in as well but it's a bit hard to keep it draft free especially around the human door.
So I decided to attach a small space to it for them to roost at night.
The 3'X6' roosting space will be the new coop with one 6 foot long perch in the middle.
The small opening for chickens connecting the coop and the run will be always open as the run is 100 percent predator proof.
So do I still need a vent in the coop?
The run is 8 feet high and mostly covered with plastic but it's definitely full of fresh air.
Yes. Chicken coops are horrible with dust. We had a livestock vet come out and inspect ours and they basically have a one car garage for their coop. The door is always open. She said put a vent fan in sucking the air out. Plus they have an air conditioner. That’s just cause it gets hot in California. Put a thermometer in the coop too and add 5-10 degrees to it since they have down.

Back
Top Bottom