Do I need a window?

Quote:
Yes, large diameter wheels so it doesn't get stuck on every little bump and dip, and possibly a garden tractor to pull it. My word, p.t. 2x4's for the frame! =:0
tongue.png

Chickens dont care about windows. The only time it is important is when they are confined and cant get sunlight anyother way.

I would somewhat disagree, in the case where the chickens are locked into the coop (or coop part of the tractor) for predator safety at night. If you do this -- and in many places, it really *is* the smart thing to do -- then unless you are naturally an up-at-the-crack-of-dawn kind of person, your chickens may be experiencing an artificially short day length which in spring and fall can be a problem for their laying.

And since ventilation is so important -- and that tractor really needs more than just one little 6x6" vent -- it seems to me that it would be kind of dumb to build vents that are NOT also windows
tongue.png

Have fun,

Pat​

Here's how we made our windows. We have very hot summers, so we wanted to give them plenty of ventilation and also protection from bad weather and cold winter weather. We covered the windows with 1/2" hardware cloth, and then put the wood trim (backwards) on the sides so the plexiglass can slide in and out. We can leave the windows open just a few inches, or completely remove the plexiglass and hang it on a hook on the side. I have also seen people make windows framed with old yard-sale picture frames.

IMG_3883.jpg

I contacted a local glass shop and asked them if they had a piece of scrap plexiglass. They are supposed to call me back. I think I would feel better if they had a small strip just to let a little light in. I am not looking for anything elaborate, just something to let some light in.
big_smile.png

We keep the hen house windows closed mostly or I haven't removesd them yet this year. I like to keep it dark for them to lay their eggs. They have access to outside 24-7 so they can get as much sun shine as they prefer.

I would somewhat disagree, in the case where the chickens are locked into the coop (or coop part of the tractor) for predator safety at night. If you do this -- and in many places, it really *is* the smart thing to do -- then unless you are naturally an up-at-the-crack-of-dawn kind of person, your chickens may be experiencing an artificially short day length which in spring and fall can be a problem for their laying.

And since ventilation is so important -- and that tractor really needs more than just one little 6x6" vent -- it seems to me that it would be kind of dumb to build vents that are NOT also windows.

I suppose youre right about the the day length thing. I never worry about that; any hens are free to slow down and rest in the offseason around here.
And I prefer a curtained "fresh air" coop, so there is no issue with ventilation, or windows for that matter. The outside comes in automatically.
But the chickens themselves really dont care about windows - they've seen the sights in the yard plenty of times.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom