Do I need grit for this?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by enggass, Jun 3, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Hey All,
    My chicks are just past 4 weeks old. My wife got some grapes today and I would love to offer some as a treat.
    So far they have had no treats. Just starter feed. Would it be ok for me to give them a few this evening even though they have not had any grit yet?
    If so, should I cut them up first? How small?
    Any advice appreciated...
    Thanks,
    Steve

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    not sure ..I read here that sand in the coop or run would be grit in practice so even though we give treats we have a sand floor and have put no grit out yet ..ill watch the replies here incase im wrong [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Any time you feed something other than commercial feed, yoghurt, or chopped up boiled egg, you should provide grit (of some type). I use construction (all purpose) sand... not play sand. The former has various sizes of little bits of granite, pebbles, etc.

I don't give treats the first 2 weeks. After that, I do. For chicks, cut the grapes in halves or quarters.

4. Hope119

Hope119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Do they need grit if they are free ranging and have access to all sort of rocks, big and tiny? I bought grit, but have not opened it yet - I think the bag said 8 weeks on it and ours are a bit younger.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

We don't have to supplement the natural world's supply of "grit" items for freely ranging birds. Unless yours are only ranging on tennis courts or something! *teasing*

6. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Here is my opinion:
    Free ranging or not I ALWAYS offer a quality granite grit to my birds young and old from week 1 on I have a grit available. It's their teeth and it is cheap.

This way I do not need to worry or think about it. [​IMG]
    ON

7. goldenchic

goldenchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    i use to offer my chicks bird grit in a bowl but was then told i didnt need to as there run has a sand floor and there dustbaths are filled with sand and they will help their self to what they wanted

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I offer chick grit even though there is some sand in the run. It makes me feel better and that alone is worth it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by