Do I need grit for this?

enggass

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
Hey All,
My chicks are just past 4 weeks old. My wife got some grapes today and I would love to offer some as a treat.
So far they have had no treats. Just starter feed. Would it be ok for me to give them a few this evening even though they have not had any grit yet?
If so, should I cut them up first? How small?
Any advice appreciated...
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

drunkdog

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Everett
not sure ..I read here that sand in the coop or run would be grit in practice so even though we give treats we have a sand floor and have put no grit out yet ..ill watch the replies here incase im wrong
big_smile.png

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
Any time you feed something other than commercial feed, yoghurt, or chopped up boiled egg, you should provide grit (of some type). I use construction (all purpose) sand... not play sand. The former has various sizes of little bits of granite, pebbles, etc.

I don't give treats the first 2 weeks. After that, I do. For chicks, cut the grapes in halves or quarters.

Hope119

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Do they need grit if they are free ranging and have access to all sort of rocks, big and tiny? I bought grit, but have not opened it yet - I think the bag said 8 weeks on it and ours are a bit younger.

Organics North

Songster
10 Years
Dec 30, 2009
Wisconsin Northwoods
Here is my opinion:
Free ranging or not I ALWAYS offer a quality granite grit to my birds young and old from week 1 on I have a grit available. It's their teeth and it is cheap.

This way I do not need to worry or think about it.
smile.png

ON

goldenchic

Songster
10 Years
Nov 7, 2009
i use to offer my chicks bird grit in a bowl but was then told i didnt need to as there run has a sand floor and there dustbaths are filled with sand and they will help their self to what they wanted

Top Bottom