Do I need grit for this?

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
Hey All,
My chicks are just past 4 weeks old. My wife got some grapes today and I would love to offer some as a treat.
So far they have had no treats. Just starter feed. Would it be ok for me to give them a few this evening even though they have not had any grit yet?
If so, should I cut them up first? How small?
Any advice appreciated...
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
not sure ..I read here that sand in the coop or run would be grit in practice so even though we give treats we have a sand floor and have put no grit out yet ..ill watch the replies here incase im wrong
big_smile.png

Any time you feed something other than commercial feed, yoghurt, or chopped up boiled egg, you should provide grit (of some type). I use construction (all purpose) sand... not play sand. The former has various sizes of little bits of granite, pebbles, etc.

I don't give treats the first 2 weeks. After that, I do. For chicks, cut the grapes in halves or quarters.

Do they need grit if they are free ranging and have access to all sort of rocks, big and tiny? I bought grit, but have not opened it yet - I think the bag said 8 weeks on it and ours are a bit younger.

Here is my opinion:
Free ranging or not I ALWAYS offer a quality granite grit to my birds young and old from week 1 on I have a grit available. It's their teeth and it is cheap.

This way I do not need to worry or think about it.
smile.png

ON

i use to offer my chicks bird grit in a bowl but was then told i didnt need to as there run has a sand floor and there dustbaths are filled with sand and they will help their self to what they wanted

Back
Top Bottom