Do I need more chickens?

MaAker

In the Brooder
May 4, 2022
Hello, I am new to the chicken world and super excited to be a chicken owner. I got 4 baby chicks a month ago. I live in northern MN (gets very cold). I am in a somewhat rural area on a lake. My question; should I get 2 more chickens? My friend said that chances are I will loose a few to predators. I want to let them free range during the day. I planned to add a couple next year - but wanted to see how this year went first. Side note; it took me 10 years to convince my hubby (who loves his lawn) to get them, lol - I don't want to push my luck. Also, if I get a couple more chciks - will this be a problem for my 5 weeks old chicks or do they adapt well at this age? Thank you!

I would strongly suggest going the route of giving them a secure coop and run. And if you bring them out into an open yard, make sure these events are supervised. Preventing a predator attack is better than planning for the loss, IMO.

Also, I wouldn't raise brand new chicks along side of 5 week olds, the little ones will get beat up pretty regularly and might not survive. Additionally, not many places will sell you just 2 chicks, most will have a 4 or 6 minimum.

With your current situation, I would probably let these 4 grow out and start laying and then re-evaluate from there if you want more chickens/more eggs.

I would strongly suggest going the route of giving them a secure coop and run. And if you bring them out into an open yard, make sure these events are supervised. Preventing a predator attack is better than planning for the loss, IMO.

Also, I wouldn't raise brand new chicks along side of 5 week olds, the little ones will get beat up pretty regularly and might not survive. Additionally, not many places will sell you just 2 chicks, most will have a 4 or 6 minimum.

With your current situation, I would probably let these 4 grow out and start laying and then re-evaluate from there if you want more chickens/more eggs.
Totally agree. Prevention is better always.

Thank you for your advice. They will have a secure coop and run - I also thought about getting a chicken tractor for the times I can't be outside to keep my eye on them. I do not want to loose any of them - they have already become little family members. I think I will wait until next spring and evaluate then. :)

Thank you for your advice. They will have a secure coop and run - I also thought about getting a chicken tractor for the times I can't be outside to keep my eye on them. I do not want to loose any of them - they have already become little family members. I think I will wait until next spring and evaluate then. :)
A chicken tractor is a great idea for this. Been meaning to build a tractor over here for the sake of taking my chickens on fieldtrips to the garden - I hear it is a very effective way to destroy an old garden and prep it for replanting!

I think waiting is the best option. If eggs are one of your reasons for chickens, you'll get more consistent egg production if the flock is spread out in ages. For that reason a lot of us add a few chicks every year or every few years.

Back
Top Bottom