Do I need more ducks?

I'm sure you're attached and it would be difficult, but you could rehome the male and purchase an adult female. Or, if you don't care about eggs, you could rehome the female and pick up another Drake.

I have heard of many people having an all male flock of ducks. The males are usually prettier and you don’t have the hassle of collecting eggs. We have a wildlife rescue in our area that ends up with a lot of unwanted drakes. They encourage people to establish an all male duck flock. Male ducks aren’t as noisy as females either. Having male ducks is actually a better option unless you are after eggs or have breeding plans.

During mating season though males can be a handful. I had my Mallard/Rouen Drake in with my Muscovy Drake and my Muscovy Drake started mating the poor smaller Mallard/Rouen. I ended up rehoming him. I never knew they would go this far but it certainly did with my two.

During mating season though males can be a handful. I had my Mallard/Rouen Drake in with my Muscovy Drake and my Muscovy Drake started mating the poor smaller Mallard/Rouen. I ended up rehoming him. I never knew they would go this far but it certainly did with my two.

Yes. I once had a gay mallard duck that was also a pedophile. You can do your research and find that mallard drakes have even been known to dabble in necrophilia. I didn’t know that it happened with Muscoveys too.

Only time will tell, but usually drakes require more than one hen. I would suggest picking up at least 3 more females.
I had two Pekings, the oldest one just died this pas October and my male is very lonesome. I had just the male and female and they got alone great. In fact he protected her like a hawk. She was an older female and was the rut of her group, so my granddaughter brought her home. She lived to be 7 yrs old. So, the answer to your question, one male and one female will get alone just fine. I am not looking to either re-home him or find another female. I live in Missouri and I can't believe how hard it is find people that have ducks. They have every other kind of animals but not ducks.

Back
Top Bottom