do I need one or two homes for the birds

MEPSAP

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
I am wanting to start raising chicks and ducks. Can I just build one home for them or do I need to have two seperate homes for them. Then if I can use one home do I need to have two seperate nesting boxes when they get to laying time or will they share and be happy together?

They will do fine with each other. Ive done it before although i pump out alot of ducks with hatching and whatnot to raise for meat, so i no longer do chickens. So, basically from what i know from having done it, ducks will ALWAYS lay where they want, typically if its a dirt floor will make indentations wherever they deem fit and lay their eggs and then cover them, chickens love boxes, best results are about 1.5 to 2 foot of the ground. So yes, they will share just fine, but sucks will lay where they want, you can deff encourage them to lay in boxes by putting fake eggs or something like an egg in a nesting box. Ducks LOVE to camp, meaning lay their eggs where other ducks have layed them. Question are they being put up together at night and free ranging or are they together in a coop? Ducks are insane about water. I put my kiddy pool on top of the hill so it never turns into a mud pit. :)

I'd keep them separate....don't have ducks here but I've read ALOT that ducks make a hugely wet mess and that's not good for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom