Do I need seperate boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JodyJo, Jun 26, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I just moved my nesting boxed down to about 24" off the coop floor, my hens are not laying yet, but were roosting in them, I hope this prevents this, otherwise I will have to block them off...now, do I need to have individual nesting boxes for my hens, or is one large "trough" good enough?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:I have lots of boxes 10, and 24 chicken - some under laying age (2-4), some (2) roosters... often they only use two boxes, sometimes three...

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    One large trough is probably fine, depending how many hens you have. A rule of thumb often given here is one nest to four hens -- but they generally all have a favorite or two and don't use the others.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I have 16 pullets...one large trough, about 6-6.5 feet long...I have the dividers, I just didn't put them back in, I guess I will see if they are ok with what I did...I just didn't know if they "had" to have separate boxes..I know they tend to favor one, and can pile a few hens into one!

5. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    You should be fine. I have about twenty good layers right now, and five nest boxes, but they mostly only use two of those boxes.

6. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. I had 8 nest boxes in my first coop the 10 girls all used the end box. It was funny seeing 4 hens stacked on top of each other with 7 empty boxes next to them. Happy nesting.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  7. Erebus

Erebus Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 13 girls of laying age and a bunch of juveniles. We have one regular sized nest box and one double the width.
    They prefer the regular sized one and I'm getting about 5 a day in the regular one and maybe 1 or 2 in the wider one.

I think they think a regular nest box is more private. My FIL assures me that hens like to lay some quiet, private place (like humans on the toilet [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by