Do i need to add a perch or a roost for the chicks?

Jtp79

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2018
Sparta Tennessee
Our chicks are about two and half or 3 weeks old. They are in a 4 by 8 cage that i built in our basement. They are basically not going under the momma heating pad anymore but sleeping on top of it. The entire thing is lined with poplar shavings and they are playing and digging in those. Do i need to give them something to roost on? I will move them outside at about 4 or 5 weeks old as we have 4h chicks coming also.

If you want Them to roost on something Different than your heating pad, you can but it is not necessary.:D I hope this helps

Do you need to? No, many people do not. If you want to they will play on it. It's not a bad thing at all. I nailed a strip or wood on a couple of pieces of plywood, simple. Sometimes they play on it.

In our brooder we offer a 4 in. Diameter chunk of firewood at about a week old. They hop on and off stretching their wings, after a few days they are all roosting and hardly ever sleeping on the floor. It's not at all necessary, but entertaining for us and them.

Greetings Jtp79,

A perch is not necessary, but, they are so fun for the chicks.

They do seem to like trying out new things. And they will even have their favorite spot to perch. And they will sit and observe the activities going on around them, like people taking pictures of them! LOL! :lau

Here is a picture of my two girls perched up top, and three boys down below.

PICT0017 (1).JPG
PICT0016.JPG

God Bless :lol:

Our chicks are about two and half or 3 weeks old. They are in a 4 by 8 cage that i built in our basement. They are basically not going under the momma heating pad anymore but sleeping on top of it. The entire thing is lined with poplar shavings and they are playing and digging in those. Do i need to give them something to roost on? I will move them outside at about 4 or 5 weeks old as we have 4h chicks coming also.
If you have things that you can use as roost it is pretty fun to watch the chicks learn how to use them. It can also make it a little easier when they go out I'm the coop because they will already know how to roost. Here are some of my week olds on a roost in their cardboard box brooder.
20180309_163344.jpg
20180309_163344.jpg

Back
Top Bottom