do I need to get rid of my rooster

cleblanc

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 25, 2014
My hen hatched a baby a couple months ago. It was not her egg so not her baby. But it is a Rooster. My hen is ready to wean it but they sleep in the same coop. I have no other chickens but my neighbor has plenty. I want to keep this rooster in hopes to keep my neighbors rooster away. But should I get rid of it for my hens sake? Any advice is much appreciated.

My hen hatched a baby a couple months ago. It was not her egg so not her baby. But it is a Rooster. My hen is ready to wean it but they sleep in the same coop. I have no other chickens but my neighbor has plenty. I want to keep this rooster in hopes to keep my neighbors rooster away. But should I get rid of it for my hens sake? Any advice is much appreciated.

Are these the only two birds you have?

Yes it is. My hen is very friendly. and I really wanted her to have a friend.....

Yes it is. My hen is very friendly. and I really wanted her to have a friend.....

You would be better suited by getting her a nice hen (or two) for friends and re-homing the cockerel. As to keeping the neighbor's bird away, that is a good idea, but would be better accomplished in other ways.

You would be better suited by getting her a nice hen (or two) for friends and re-homing the cockerel.  As to keeping the neighbor's bird away, that is a good idea, but would be better accomplished in other ways.

Well thanks so much for the fast response.

Not sure what breed. Mutt of sorts really. And my hen is really done with it. She won't take to any other chickens. Only took to her hatchling till now.

Back
Top Bottom