Do I need to give my chickens grit?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Colt Frost, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    Southern Utah
    i free range my chickens everyday, and the lands they’re on is half grassy green orchard and half desolate dirt field. The dirt field does have Little Rock’s and stuff. Are they getting enough grit? Their poop looks normal if that has anything to do with this.

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  2. chickenluver10

chickenluver10 Chirping

Nov 7, 2017
    See if their crop is full, it helps to sprinkle a little on the ground or in their feed every once in a while.

3. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    Southern Utah
    They’re all out right now and I don’t think I can catch one, but at night when I come down to lock them up they’re crops are always full.

4. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    They're probably getting enough, but it's also cheap enough to buy a bag and put some in a container. If they need it, it's there for them.

Wyorp Rock and Frazzemrat1 like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

Good to provide digestive granite grit in the appropriate size from the get go,
    it helps build a good gizzard.
    http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

ChooksNQuilts and Frazzemrat1 like this.
  6. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    As my father always said, Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Agree with above. They probably are getting enough, but I'd offer it anyway just to be sure. If they need it, they'll take it.

aart, Jetblack2004 and blackdog043 like this.
  7. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Free Ranging

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    :goodpost:

8. ashlandco

ashlandco Songster

Mar 31, 2017
    I never gave my chickens grit. We got our first four from people that didn’t give them grit and they live. Our soil is very sandy/rocky though.

9. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Chirping

Feb 3, 2018
    Southern Utah
    Quick question, does oyster shell work as grit? Or is that just for calcium and stuff.

10. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India
    I View attachment 1317122 think I should share my experience about grit ..
    I've 2 home chickens till their 5 months they don't have any grit as I thought they are home chickens so they didn't need it .but as they getting big and older I realized that their eating habit got changed like less interest in food and treats .
    I thought it's a infection or something so I treat with medication ..
    Nothing improve I take them to our medicine store vet
    And I got they have some digestion issue going on .
    I'm also studying veterinary but I really didn't aware about grit at that moment .
    Vet told me to give them grit .I order online and next day I got and open it it was shell grit ..it didn't contain any of pebbles or stones my vet told me my chickens need hard small pebbles .

Some of my fellow chicken keeper friends told me they use construction grade sand that's very corase they wash the pit sand and dry it collect the small granite stones and give to their chickens its cheap and very effective ..I use that too and my chickens seems loving it and they back on food ..

Pit sand have tiny hard rocks maybe granite I wash it first then . I give them in moderation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: