Do I need to insulate my coop?

jakesbigpapa

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 27, 2012
Ithaca, NY
Hey....I'm brand new to the backyard chicken game, and I'm getting started on my first coop. I live in the Finger Lakes region of New York, and my question is, do I need to insulate my coop? I know that it's a complete beginner question, but I figure that's why this site is such a great resource. I'm planning on building something similar to the Chicken Paradise coop, tossing in my own flavor and specifications. My flock will be between 6 and 12 birds, beginning with 3 golden comets and 3 speckled sussex, arriving the end of this month.

I'm just kind of confused, because I've checked out TONS of pictures and plans for coops in many different climates, and there doesn't seem to be any consistency regarding insulation. Some do, some don't........help!!!!

No need to insulate or heat your coop. Ventilation is key, you want good air flow. The coop provides wind shelter and protection from predators. We live in northern NH. No heat no problem.

Thanks for both of the speedy responses. It's nice hearing from northern New Hampshire, because the climate up there is definitely going to be more severe than our climate here.

Thanks everyone....I'm soooooo excited. It's really hard to wait another 3+ weeks to get my chicks. Everyday, my son asks me, "Daddy, are we going to get our chickens today?" At least, tomorrow the weather forecast is looking decent for starting the coop.

frow.gif
Welcome to the flock! Make your coop/hen house larger then you think you need. Once you get your birds you will understand.The old timers around here call it chicken math! You will get more chickens, really, just go ahead and buy them and save yourself a lot of trouble. So welcome to the crazy hobby of chicken farming and to being kept by the little stinkers.We all know the hens rule the roost!

LOL .... Chicken math .... I pick my first group of chicks up next week .... chicken math ... I started out with 10 ...then 12 ...then 16 ..now I am at 20 birds that will be added to my new addiction
love.gif

I have also increased my coop size from 8x6 to 8x9 to now 9x12 and my run has also increased to 10'x28 ....chicken math ... it's what we do
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom