Do I need to lock chickens up at night

RiDaGeckoGuy

Songster
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh county, OK
I have been locking my chickens up at night and I know there have been coyotes like 3 blocks away and possums and raccoons in town plus an armadillo in my yard but should I lock my chickens up
FC7017EE-9A2E-4591-BAF8-318CCD8C02CB.jpeg

I have been locking my chickens up at night and I know there have been coyotes like 3 blocks away and possums and raccoons in town plus an armadillo in my yard but should I lock my chickens upView attachment 3576965
Well if you don’t mind giving the predators a midnight snack , then don’t lock them up. But if you do care lock them up.
Mark

#1 - Black French Copper Maran pullet. 14 weeks

#2 - Lavender Orpington cockerel. 14 weeks

#3 - Blue Copper Maran pullet. 14 weeks

#4 - Black French Copper Maran I think, it is a pullet. 14 weeks

#5 - Black Copper Maran, cockerel. 8 weeks

#6 - Easter Egger, leaning cockerel. 8 weeks

#7 - Easter Egger pullet. 8 weeks

#8 - Speckled Sussex, thinking pullet. 8 weeks

#9 - Speckled Sussex I think, that is a pullet. 8 weeks

#10 - Golden Laced Polish, 7 weeks too young to sex.

#11 - Silkie, 7 weeks also too young to sex.

The breed won't matter to the predator, but a silkie won't be able to reach a safe roost, so it matters to us
There is no safe roost in the run unless they will be roosting in the coop where the Silkie will be safe sleeping on the ground as well provided they will be locked up safely.

But some people get lucky and even without locking up their poultry they rarely have predator attacks.

There is no safe roost in the run unless they will be roosting in the coop where the Silkie will be safe sleeping on the ground as well provided they will be locked up safely.

But some people get lucky and even without locking up their poultry they rarely have predator attacks.

I thought OP meant leaving their birds roost on the trees outside the coop, where the silkie definitely won't be able to fly to. Sorry for misunderstanding

Back
Top Bottom