Do I need to lock chickens up at night

post some pictures and we can come up with some ideas for where to cut holes for ventilation. The easiest option is often to make the cut the wall directly on the side that's shared with the run. That way while you should still secure it with some hardware cloth you don't have to go crazy as you might need to with the sides that are exposed to the world without the added benefit of the predator proofing your run already provides.

In terms of going away on weekends, all the more reason to get an automatic coop door. Your hens probably already know to put themselves away before it gets dark and the door automatically closes. That said, every once in awhile a chicken gets left out and sure makes a fuss of their circumstance... :)
Yeah my chickens put themselves up at night

it’s just under 200 it’s just under 10 feet wide by just under 20 feet long
The coop is 10 x 20, or the run? Judging by photos it looks maybe 5 or 6' wide, not 10'. Also nest boxes do not count, you need to measure floor space.

To help with your ventilation issues we need an accurate measurement of the coop measurements not including nests.

The coop is 10 x 20, or the run? Judging by photos it looks maybe 5 or 6' wide, not 10'. Also nest boxes do not count, you need to measure floor space.

To help with your ventilation issues we need an accurate measurement of the coop measurements not including nests.
The run is the coop is 9 feet long about 4 feet wide and 6 feet tall there are 12 nesting boxes 6 on each side and 3 roosting bars usually my 7 week old silkie and polish are on the ground cuddling with my 8 week old black copper maran and 2 speckled sussexs, 2 Easter egger 8 week olds are in the nesting boxes, my 12 week old 3 bared rocks are on the 2nd highest or the highest perch, and my four 14 week olds (2 black French copper marans, 1 blue copper maran, and a lavender Orpington) are sleeping in the top roost. Also I lied I have 3 windows on the front
56323943-844E-491D-897D-6F6C3B0B6609.jpeg
5F63464A-4A0A-4855-BA72-472025CAEF55.jpeg
BFC5C629-D61E-4C2D-8F55-707031DC6961.jpeg
D5DF3CFA-6882-442A-8763-1CA2CC7FC346.jpeg
8E745E1E-BA83-4F96-AE67-E4E5ACE4158B.jpeg
3F40A04B-DE00-4386-AC9C-4B9C2E7213DA.jpeg
this was when I first got my coop

Attachments

• 854D1942-E90D-4A87-A9F3-4551C2A9AA48.jpeg
    854D1942-E90D-4A87-A9F3-4551C2A9AA48.jpeg
    643.8 KB · Views: 2
The run is the coop is 9 feet long about 4 feet wide and 6 feet tall
Also I lied I have 3 windows on the front
So for starters 36 sq ft is tight for 22 birds of mixed sizes, not sure who told you the coop was built for 25. It definitely is not ventilated for 25 birds right now.

Can you replicate those windows on the wall across? That would help for starters, though you'd still need more to reach the 20+ sq ft of vents you'd want for a flock of your size. I still would give thought to finding a way to either open the wall facing into the run or have panels that open and can be lowered in winter if cold weather is an issue at your location.

We might try 18 birds we have 2 roosters that one of them doesn’t have any interest in fighting unless somebody else starts it and another that won’t bother nobody and just wants to cuddle with the other roo and only gets mad and pecks a bit if you steal a clover flower or live big from him plus our hens are hefty and can stand up for themselves other than the silkie and polish

We might try 18 birds
If the birds are all getting along as-is no real reason to alter flock size at this time. Obviously if there starts being pecking order issues then that's something to consider. The comment about coop size is more in regards to 1) ventilation concerns and 2) in case you were hoping to grow the flock even more (since you mentioned the coop was supposed to hold 25) that that would probably not be advisable,. Hope that makes sense?

If the birds are all getting along as-is no real reason to alter flock size at this time. Obviously if there starts being pecking order issues then that's something to consider. The comment about coop size is more in regards to 1) ventilation concerns and 2) in case you were hoping to grow the flock even more (since you mentioned the coop was supposed to hold 25) that that would probably not be advisable,. Hope that makes sense?
I just fell in love with 2 roosters I am getting rid of my sorta aggressive beautiful EE with the only cost of trading for a hen. I just don’t want any hens getting picked on and don’t want to get rid of Foghorn (Lavender Orpington roo) or Hei Hei (BCM roo) but atm they all dustbathe together at the same time and snuggle in the shade outside together

It doesn’t bother me but if I go away for a weekend and have my mom take care of them she doesn’t like to lock them up and it’s hard for her to get really early in the morning to let them out
The locking up is the important thing. I'd assume them getting let out a couple hours later than usual isn't going to be so bad.
Is there something you can do to make it simpler or easier for her to lock them up though? Maybe change the latch or put soap on the door if it sticks...those kinds of ideas?

We have a neighbor farmer lady lock ours up and let them out. It's pretty simple and takes her seconds and she's turning around to hike back home again. She doesn't need to feed/water them as what we use for receptacles for both lasts them a month.

Back
Top Bottom