Do I need to put my Chickens in the coop at night?

RowdyRooster79

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
I have recently started my first flock and was wondering why at night the birds just stay outside in the run instead of going into the coop to roost. Should i be putting them inside and sealing the coop up at nights? Thanks for the feedback.

Unless your run is built like Fort Knox you need to lock them in the coop at night to protect them from predators.

And
welcome-byc.gif

If your run is super secure then they are fine. Unfortunately, most people think their run is secure and find out the hard way it was not. (Chicken wire is not!)

I'm surprised they don't go in by themselves to roost. Mine roam free during the day and always go in to roost about 1/2 before dark. Did something scare them in there? Do they have a good place to roost? Are they still eating when you go out or are they sitting around on the ground? You might try giving them a treat in the evenings when you want them to go in. Once they get in the habit it shouldn't be a problem.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
How old are they? They should go in by them selves. You may have to help them the first few times, but after that it should be automatic.
smile.png
Good luck and welcome. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here that are eager to help. 99.9 % are friendly too.
frow.gif

Quote:
6 of mine took 2 nights to figure it out. The last 5 figured it out last night. Took them a week of me putting them in the coop after they were settled in the run. So it can take a while but eventually they will get it.

Their natural insticts are to roost, not necessarily inside a coop. If you have roost that can be removed outside I would remove them until they are used to going in at night to roost. You might have to go out just before dark and encourage them to go inside. It shouldn't take long and they'll get it.

Back
Top Bottom