Do I need to separate a hen and chicks from the flock?

Not a problem, I just love doing chicks this way. I am not sure if it is because I have done chicks with a broody mother for many years, and all of my hens have been raised like this, but I just watched these chicks running out and about, under layers getting a drink, right next to a feeding layer, that one got a small peck, but no big one, just a mind your manners. They are just starting to get their wing feathers.

I believe they are stronger as they are moving all over a much larger space, rougher terrain than if I had them in a brooder box with a heat lamp.

I am glad it is working out for you too.

Mrs K

We had a broody hen and we decided to switch the eggs under her with chicks. She took to them right off no problem. But we had one other chicken who became aggressive and wanted to kill the chicks. Our Momma chicken is not great at defending them, so we separated her into a smaller run within the run of the other chickens. They have not rejected Momma and we give her moments to take a dust bath among the others while we care for her chicks, while she has her spa-moment. This seems to be working but I am concerned about when we should try to allow the Momma and chicks to join the larger group? Can anyone give some advice?
Routinely, we keep momma and babies separate from the flock anywhere from four to six weeks. They are in a pen where they can still interact with the flock, but the chicks have protection from the flock and everything else, and it gives mom a chance to get a break and adjust.

Mrs. K

One more question if you don't mind. Do you feed all your hens starter feed in the coop when you have little ones in with them. I have read layer feed has to much calcium and will damage their kidneys.

Thank you!

I am in a similar position, I was thinking that I would not seperate the hen and hopefully chicks, my worry is the design of the coop, it’s one of those where the house part is up high on stilts with a ramp up ? Is this going to work

I always let the broody hatch her eggs where she's decided to have her nest. After the chicks start hatching I wait as long as possible..8 hours anyway...and then move the hen, chicks, and unhatched eggs into a small pen where the broody can have some privacy and peace and finish hatching her eggs. When the chicks are older I move the family into a bigger pen, and they also have opportunity most days to go outside in the tractor. I think this gives the hen some stress free days as she doesn't have to worry about protecting her chicks from the flock and predators, and they can still interact with the flock and be introduced gradually the same way I would do if I were adding new adult members to the flock. At five or six weeks, I let the mother and babies out to mingle with the flock and see the rest of the world. While they are in the pen all of them eat chick starter...and at age four or five weeks I sometimes let the babies have a little corn along with the chick starter. During the first couple of weeks both mother and babies have vitamins in their water.

Back
Top Bottom