Do I need to separate a hen and chicks from the flock?

I have a small flock of bantams and had a broody hatch 3 babies in April. I made her a new small coop and run attached to the big coop and run. She and the chicks were separated from the rest of the flock (just visual contact) til the babies were about 6 weeks old. I opened up the door to allow them to mingle and forage together and to my surprise there was very little pecking on the hen and chicks. And when there was, the roosters ended the fights and would not allow anyone to pick on the babies. So babies and mama are in with the rest of the flock and now I am using the small run to separate out a broody hen that I'm trying to break.

I have a small flock of bantams and had a broody hatch 3 babies in April. I made her a new small coop and run attached to the big coop and run. She and the chicks were separated from the rest of the flock (just visual contact) til the babies were about 6 weeks old. I opened up the door to allow them to mingle and forage together and to my surprise there was very little pecking on the hen and chicks. And when there was, the roosters ended the fights and would not allow anyone to pick on the babies. So babies and mama are in with the rest of the flock and now I am using the small run to separate out a broody hen that I'm trying to break.
Sounds like the perfect scenario....especially the cocks behaviors, worth their (light) weight in gold!

Since this thread has been revived, I'll jump in here, rather than start my own thread. Scroll down for questions if background is too long, haha!

I have a Spitzhauben/Cochin hen who went broody in our 8x10 coop in a covered cat box (I have two of those and two cat carriers). I added 6 to the 3 eggs she had under her, and she sat like she means it (it's her first time, and my first broody). She came out three days in a row (everyone free ranges on our farm during the day) and our sweet but young and I guess dumb rooster chased her around like he was going to kill her.

I didn't see her off for a couple of days after that, and no broody poop, so I moved her to an empty horse stall.

I have literally had to pull her off of the nest to get her to eat a tiny bit and to drink, so I am glad I separated her. Tomorrow is day 10.

I REALLY wanted to leave her in the coop, but, you know, dumb rooster.

People who have barn cats who kill everything and who sometimes stalk lone adult chickens - can I really reintroduce her early on and expect that my barn cats (or my dogs inside the backyard) won't snack on the chicks?

I do have the space to keep them separate and let them grow up a bit, and reintroduce everyone at the same time - they just won't get much outside free ranging to start.

Thoughts? (Also I have three young kids who have lost a grandparent, a pony, and a cat, all within a short period of time, so I'm less likely to be cavalier about the chicks getting snacked on).

If you're worried, keep them in. Reasons above are why I keep ours in.

I love the idea of sneaking new baby chicks under a broody hen, I may try that one. And I do agree, it is best to let momma hen do her things, she knows best. My hens and rooster do well with momma hens hatching and raising babies in the same pen as them. My rooster is even protective of the babies. Plus my older hens are there for guidance and teaching of the younger hens.

It may be an idea to mark the eggs you set, in case other hens lay in the same nest. Its good to observe and make sure that she is not being kicked off the nest.

Once the chicks are hatched, its really up to you how to proceed. Some people put mum and chicks in a mini-coop and others adopt a more laissez faire approach and let mum do her thing. As long as they have starter food and access to water, then things, in my experience are fine. Momma will not let any other hens near her chicks, so don't worry about that. All of the above is based on the assumption that you have plenty of space in your coop, that your flock either free ranges or has a very large run.

You may wish to post on the "Broody Hen" thread for further advice / opinions.

I'd suggest collecting as much info / feedback as possible and then do what you feel suits you and your flock the best. Very little of chicken keeping is caste in stone.

Good luck
CT
I have a broody hen that I managed to sneak 5 fertile eggs under. If and when any of them hatch do I need to separate her and the chicks from the other hens? If so for how long? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Leave them all together. The mother takes care of them.
Brings them out about day three and leads them back to the nest to roost.
The rooster and other hens love the chicks of their flock.
When they become teens the mother rejoins the flock and the younguns hang out together until they are accepted into the flock. They will still all roost together but it’s a learning phase of rank and respect in regards to all things.

It's a matter of opinion but I always keep our hens with their new chicks in a pen to themselves until the chicks are 5 weeks old. It gives the hen a break from stress, and the chicks some protection not only from the flock, but from predators also. Our flock free ranges so I suppose in an environment where they're all going to stay in a run, it might be different.

Mine are free ranging by day three. Up and over stuff, scratching and digging, running madly when mama has found a treat. Generally the first day or two, she stays close to the run/coup.

I do let my layers out for a day or two, just to increase the space, but I don't ever separate her or her chicks.

Mrs K

We had a broody hen and we decided to switch the eggs under her with chicks. She took to them right off no problem. But we had one other chicken who became aggressive and wanted to kill the chicks. Our Momma chicken is not great at defending them, so we separated her into a smaller run within the run of the other chickens. They have not rejected Momma and we give her moments to take a dust bath among the others while we care for her chicks, while she has her spa-moment. This seems to be working but I am concerned about when we should try to allow the Momma and chicks to join the larger group? Can anyone give some advice?

We had a broody hen and we decided to switch the eggs under her with chicks. She took to them right off no problem. But we had one other chicken who became aggressive and wanted to kill the chicks. Our Momma chicken is not great at defending them, so we separated her into a smaller run within the run of the other chickens. They have not rejected Momma and we give her moments to take a dust bath among the others while we care for her chicks, while she has her spa-moment. This seems to be working but I am concerned about when we should try to allow the Momma and chicks to join the larger group? Can anyone give some advice?
Routinely, we keep momma and babies separate from the flock anywhere from four to six weeks. They are in a pen where they can still interact with the flock, but the chicks have protection from the flock and everything else, and it gives mom a chance to get a break and adjust.

I would be more likely to separate the hen that was being aggressive to the chicks, if she was going after them and trying to harm them. Let mama and babies integrate with the rest of the flock. And if that hen’s bad behavior were to continue, I’d give some serious thought to removing her from the flock.

The nice thing about introducing hen and chicks to the flock when the chicks are smaller is, she is more likely to protect them than when they’re older. And, if something were to happen to her, they’ll already be part of the flock. That happened here - hen and chicks were integrated when chicks were about a week old. When they were 5 weeks old, a raccoon got the hen, but the chicks were already accepted members of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom