Do I need to show my hens their hen house?

I was heading out every night and doing the chicken chase game to get them in the coop. One night I was a little late doing it since I had to pick up my oldest from work. Didn't make it back until just after dark. Headed out there with the flashlight and my running shoes on. Darn things were all in the coop and snoozing, all I had to do was shut the door. Try going out a bit later and see if they discover they can tuck themselves in.

You need to get them used to sleeping in there, you may need to lock them in there all day, but you could just lock them in a few hours before sunset. Sometimes you will need to place them on the roosts for a few nights until they get the hang of it. Once they start going in on there own at night you won't have to do anymore.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
In my case, I started out with them in the coop, finally convinced them the run was a great place to be and they no longer wanted to be in the coop
hu.gif
Gotta love living with chickens
lol.png

Hey everyone I thought I would update everyone who is following this thread that after butting my girls in their hen house for three nights they have officially gone in their hen house on there own last night so for you who are trying to figure out how to get their hens to go in their hen house all you have to do is but them in their hen house when the sun is just about to go down and you just do that till they get the idea and they go in by themselves at night so I hope this helps out though's who are wanting to know how to get your girls to go in their hen house
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I am so glad i came across this post!! our little 6 week old cheeps have had half a shed for the past 3 weeks with wire swing open doors along the top so they could see everything going on. Today though their new coop and attachef run were finishef. We put them into it through the coop part and let them take their time finding the ramp into the run. They had great fun exploring for a few hours, dusting in the dirt area, hopping on and off their fave log and working out where their food and water is. About an hour before sunset they started huddling together and stressing out. I said to hubby i think they are looking for a set of legs to put them back into their shed!!! i bribed them into the coop part with some of their fave treats and shut the door behind them. Omg....not happy little chicks at all. I have never heard them make so much noise!! eventually they quietened down and i snuck a peek and they are huddled together at the door sleeping!! think as soon as the door opens in the morning i will be lucky to get them back up the ramp tomorrow night!! will have to scatter some treats up there in the morning in the hope they get used to it during the day when they can come and go freely!!! anyone any tempting treat ideas?

so glad you re-posted urs have settled in :)

Ya I was so happy to see them go in on their own I just wish they would figure out to sleep on their perch and not on the floor

Quote:
We're working on that trick here. I go out at dusk and close the coop door. Head back out an hour later at full dark with a flashlight and place each and every one on the roost bars. Go back out an hour later and place each and every one on the roost bars. I repeat this procedure until I finally say phooey with it and go to bed myself. It's been a 2 week routine now and I am seriously considering letting them just sleep on the floor for the rest of their lives.

The really fun part is I can go out there during the day and someone is usually catching a nap on the very same bars they refuse to sleep on during the night
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom