Do I need to switch to finisher?

ninadeeputz

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 9, 2013
Adell, WI
My husband and I are raising about 15 broilers in a chicken tractor out in the field behind our house. They are on grower food now. I feed organic food and two of the feed stores near me only sell organic starter, grower and layer. We plan on butchering our chickens at about 12 weeks (I think, husband does it). Since I'm having a hard time finding finisher food, can I just keep them on grower? One of the feed stores said I need finisher and the other didn't really have any advice (it was just a kid working when I asked). Any insight would be much appreciated!

Are they Cornish Cross, Ranger, or dual purpose chickens. Broilers kind of imply Cornish Cross to most people but not always. 12 weeks can be late for Cornish Cross.

What are the percentage protein on the label for the various feeds. The Finisher I'm familiar with is a 15% protein feed meant for pullets that will become layers, not meat birds. Either the starter or grower will probably work but knowing percent protein will help a lot.

I just finished processing 80 Cornish Cross. From 0 to 3 weeks, had them on starter crumble. From 3+ to 8 weeks, had them on Southern States All Grain Meat Bird Maker (20% protein). Never had them on a finish and they still tasted delicious. Average weight for the 80 birds (after processing) was 4.8#'s.

I was wrong, we will be processing them at about 8 or 9 weeks... The grower is 21% protein

Thank you so much for the help so far!

last year we did 50 cornishX pullets for meat. I started them on 50/50 finely ground oats and corn from day 1 until we butchered. we started butchering at about 8 weeks. did 10 per weekend.. always took the smallest ones first. by the end of 14 weeks we had 7 and 8 pounders dressed out, not with the neck or giblets.. the ones at 8 weeks were about 4 pounds..
I do not like the crumble feeds.
If you are satisfied with the weight, use the grower to the end.
If you go the route that I did, be prepared to have some really fat birds.

I was wrong, we will be processing them at about 8 or 9 weeks... The grower is 21% protein

Thank you so much for the help so far!
I too have my first meat birds in a tractor , mine are called grazers they grow slower and we will butcher later then Cornish.

We feed starter 21% for 3 week and now grower 18% protein til the bitter end...

We are feeding them 12 hours during the day then take it away for 12...

How are you feeding yours ??

I was told finisher isn't that important if they are on grass , but having never done this I'm no pro

This is the little butter balls at 3 weeks

Attachments

• IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    934.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2076.JPG
    IMG_2076.JPG
    812.2 KB · Views: 41
we free range all of our birds.
keep a feeder full at all times.
we had no sudden deaths like from heart issues and no deformed legs.

the reason we do pullets cornish X is because they fit into the freezer bags easier. their legs are shorter.

.........jiminwisc.......

I just finished processing 80 Cornish Cross. From 0 to 3 weeks, had them on starter crumble. From 3+ to 8 weeks, had them on Southern States All Grain Meat Bird Maker (20% protein). Never had them on a finish and they still tasted delicious. Average weight for the 80 birds (after processing) was 4.8#'s.

That is my favorite feed and it is what I feed my entire flock from ~3 weeks of age (as soon as they can physically eat them), with oyster shell on the side for the layers. I like that I can get it in pellets and since its for meat birds the pellets are small.

Back
Top Bottom