Do I need to trim their nails?

Quote:
x 2. They'll dull down
smile.png

I agree with the others, I wouldnt start trimming them yet, since they are only 8 weeks old. I would wait until they are good sized pullets and able to run around and file their nails themselves.

However, I do trim my hens nails at least once a year, this helps to avoid any type of turning or twisting of the nail. I had one hen whose nail started to grow to the side and after that I started trimming them. I have found that it just makes the nails prettier to look at for me, and it also helps to avoid and potential problems with overgrown nails.

That being said I would guess only about 1% (or less!) of chicken owners would ever dream of trimming their chickens nails. I hate the sound of dog toenails clicking on the hardwood and therefore trim my dogs toenails once a week, and so I think I have become a sort of toenail freak!
hmm.png

Hope this helps!

Thanks all. Theyʻve been out in their coop scratching for about 2 weeks now. Iʻll give it more time though. I appreciate all of your experience.

I have a white showgirl who needs to be bathed more often that I want to and I do trim her nails so I don't get scratched. But she is old enough to lay.

Back
Top Bottom