Advice on nail clipping

Mar 30, 2024
I have two hens that need their nails clipped, But my two hens are very moody. I know how to clip dog nails and I've been told that it's very similar! My question is does anyone have any advice on clipping their nails without stressing them out?

It is best to grab them one by one from the roost after dark, bundle them up in a towel with just the feet sticking out and then holding the toe you work on rather tightly when clipping. And don't cut too much at once as it will bleed a lot if you get the quick.
In case of bleeding use corn starch and a bit of pressure for a few minutes.

Ty so much! I was planning on doing in around 9 am today but I guess I'll wait till night. Now I'm a little worried about my rooster at night his name is butthead for a reason lol how do I get past a protective rooster? Should I lock him up today and bring him back to the main coop afterwards? And will that stress him out?

Ty so much! I was planning on doing in around 9 am today but I guess I'll wait till night. Now I'm a little worried about my rooster at night his name is butthead for a reason lol how do I get past a protective rooster? Should I lock him up today and bring him back to the main coop afterwards? And will that stress him out?
In case of protective rooster start talking in a low, friendly tone to your chickens even before opening/entering the coop, so they will know it is you and not a predator.
Use a small head light when grabbing the chicken from the roost and bring it in your house do he will not know what is going on.

When grabbing the chicken put one hand on her back, the other underneath her body. Or grab with both hands both her sides while at the same time fixing her wing tips to prevent her from flapping them in your face.

The nail clipping is done best while sitting on a kitchen chair and having the bundled up chicken laying on her side on your lap

Al
In case of protective rooster start talking in a low, friendly tone to your chickens even before opening/entering the coop, so they will know it is you and not a predator.
Use a small head light when grabbing the chicken from the roost and bring it in your house do he will not know what is going on.

When grabbing the chicken put one hand on her back, the other underneath her body. Or grab with both hands both her sides while at the same time fixing her wing tips to prevent her from flapping them in your face.

The nail clipping is done best while sitting on a kitchen chair and having the bundled up chicken laying on her side on your lapRight! Thanks 😊

The nail clipping is done best while sitting on a kitchen chair and having the bundled up chicken laying on her side on your lap
All right now to just get it done tonight ty so much for the help!

Good advice from @LaFleche.

When I have to trim nails, I corral all the "medical" equipment ahead of time: cornstarch or one of the commercial styptic powders, along with some gauze, vet wrap and scissors, just in case I cut too deeply. Honestly, it took me more than once to learn that it's much easier for me and the chicken if I don't have to search for any of that stuff while both of us are panicking a bit.

Good advice from @LaFleche.

When I have to trim nails, I corral all the "medical" equipment ahead of time: cornstarch or one of the commercial styptic powders, along with some gauze, vet wrap and scissors, just in case I cut too deeply. Honestly, it took me more than once to learn that it's much easier for me and the chicken if I don't have to search for any of that stuff while both of us are panicking a bit.
Lol that is great advice! I know I will panic if I see blood! 🤞 Fingers crossed that I don't

I actually find it a lot easier to trim chicken nails than dog nails. With friendly enough hens, you could just pluck them up and trim them in the air before they even realize what's happening, but since you're working around the rooster then bedtime (and having a helper) might be the best bet.

Just as with dog nails, if you're not sure at first, work back in incremental, thin cuts. Don't feel like you need to trim it back all at once. If you leave it a bit long you can always come back another day and take off a bit more.

I
I actually find it a lot easier to trim chicken nails than dog nails. With friendly enough hens, you could just pluck them up and trim them in the air before they even realize what's happening, but since you're working around the rooster then bedtime (and having a helper) might be the best bet.

Just as with dog nails, if you're not sure at first, work back in incremental, thin cuts. Don't feel like you need to trim it back all at once. If you leave it a bit long you can always come back another day and take off a bit more.
Greatly appreciated the advice! I got both of them done about 3 hours ago! And I needed a helper 👍☺️

Back
Top Bottom