Nail Clipping

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
My chickens nails seem long to me. They are on a clay soil run & get out to range daily weather permitting. There are bricks & roosts in the run.

Is it ok to not clip nails? I would just think they would wear down naturally more than they have. I don’t have to clip my dogs nails (they look shorter & worn), & they run the same area.

Yes you can clip them if needed, but in most cases that's not necessary. I mainly clip nails that don't contact the ground (like the 5th toenail that some breeds have), or to blunt spur tips.

If you do need to clip, it's similar to clipping a dog's nails. Don't want to nick or cut the quick inside.

Yes you can clip them if needed, but in most cases that's not necessary. I mainly clip nails that don't contact the ground (like the 5th toenail that some breeds have), or to blunt spur tips.

If you do need to clip, it's similar to clipping a dog's nails. Don't want to nick or cut the quick inside.
Thanks! I have clipped dogs nails (just the two I have now are out running the yard so much I haven’t needed to). I’ll keep an eye out and post a pic if I think they’re getting super long!

Back
Top Bottom