Do I need wire on top of the chicken yard fences?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Newfienanna, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Newfienanna

Newfienanna New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    I am in the process of building a hen house (10 x 20) in our barn that will open into 4 large ex-dog pens (39 x 60). The chain link fencing is 5 ft high. Do I need to put something on top? I'll be moving 25 pullets into the new house in about a week. They're 4 to 8 weeks old. They will be locked inside at night. There are also 'coons and coyote in the woods surrounding our farm.

I have a free range rooster and hen in a separate coop at night but am reluctant to let the little ones go that route for now. We do have 2 beautiful hawks but I would prefer that they not have a buffet of my chickens.

Also, the barn is quite a distance from the house and our 4 dogs (Newfoundlands) are indoors with us at night.

Oh, I'm not a city girl just haven't raised chickens since I was a kid - and now I'm a bonafide senior citizen - just got my Medicare card - boo!

Joyce

2. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    are you using anything to reinforce the dog fencing? the holes on that fencing is huge and snakes, coons, and coyotes can get paws/teeth... or snakes whole bodys easily through the gaps.

Personally I happen to live in an area with A LOT of predators... I see hawks flying overhead every day.. and roosting in our trees to watch the chickens. SO I know full well that we have to have a cover on the runs otherwise our chickens wouldn't last long. It all depends on your situation.

3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    The hawks will probably try and make meals out of your little ones. You can try using cris-crossed string or wire to deter them, or hang something reflective like pie tins or CD's at regular intervals. Here is a neat old thread that shows the CD system:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44145/hawk-saucer

We ended up adding orange cris-crossed wires to our run to be on the safe side.

4. Deviant

Deviant Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    I used bird netting over my run and I over lapped it. You don't want things flying in for lunch lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by