do I, or don't I, bring on a new hen?

maryhbrock

Chirping
May 14, 2020
I am the Ultimate urban backyard chicken gal. 18 months ago, I got two Easter egger chicks, one was a boy, so we sent him to a friends ranch.

Ok, since his pal was alone as a teenager, we bought two wyandotte pullets. And until a couple days ago, these gals were fast friends. Then I found one in the run, deceased.

I am the Ultimate urban backyard chicken gal. 18 months ago, I got two Easter egger chicks, one was a boy, so we sent him to a friends ranch.

Ok, since his pal was alone as a teenager, we bought two wyandotte pullets. And until a couple days ago, these gals were fast friends. Then I found one in the run, deceased.

Sorry, I must hit the post button. To continue... The two left are very happy and healthy, but I can't help wanting another. Should I just let these two friends alone, or introduce another gal pal?

Sadly, no. I love talking to them through the window in the coop. Saw two of them on their roost, and walked around the run till I found my ZsaZsa. I was so distressed, that I never thought about necrology, and now it's too late.

Something else to consider before adding birds (whether 1 or more) is to also assess your space and ensure you have enough to safely integrate birds. You will also need to decide if you're going to quarantine any new additions (and set up to accommodate that), which would be recommended for any bird(s) other than newly/recently hatched chicks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/

does age and breed play a factor? I have 2 24 month silkies and 1 24 month bantam cochin want to add a 2 month old wheaten ameraucana

Back
Top Bottom