Do I put this duck down?

I got the duck in a bath this afternoon and cleaned her up. The blood on her body washed off and she only has two small wounds that are not as bad as feared. She was certainly very feisty when I caught her. She did try to run but given the location of one of the wounds, on her thigh, I think she is sore but still put up a valiant effort.
The beak is still a mess but I did my best to clean it up. It and the body wounds were treated with antibiotics. I'm not sure if she ate or drank but both are within easy reach of where she is resting.
Tonight I made the coop door more secure, repaired the small rip in the run fence, set a trap, and the field camera. I'm still thinking raccoon but, chatting with neighbours today, there is a Fisher active in the area. One neighbour heard a commotion at night then saw the Fisher slam into his fully grown turkey, then cart it away.
Thanks Canadian Wind for the offer. I split my Muscovy ducks into two coops once spring hormones set in. I have two drakes so they each get to hang out with some females. Unfortunately this has left one drake with only one remaining female. I think I need to give the injured female a few weeks recover time before introducing any one news. I'll watch that he isn't hassling her too much. I might just take one from the other drake since they all live together during the fall and winter.
Thanks for your advice and support. They are "not just ducks" they are my responsibility to do the best I can to care for, feed, and protect them.
I saw my first fisher two winters ago. Those things are massive! I'm not surprised it took out a turkey! Hopefully, whatever it is is taken care of. I agree, they are our responsibility and they depend on us for everything.

Wishing a full and speedy recovery to your injured duck, and I am sorry for your loss. Is the fencing around your run hardware cloth, or just chicken wire? If you're dealing with a fisher, he'll be back now that he's discovered you, and you'll need something sturdy to deter him, like hardware cloth. Good luck!

She is up and about this morning. Even laid a perfect egg. She is still limping a bit but not so much that she is using her wings to get around. I watched her have a drink from the kiddie pool. She wanted in to the pool but was struggling so I built her steps to get in and out.
She is missing the top tip of her beak and I'll have to wait to see how the rest heals. I left some fresh duck chow soup so hopefully she eats some today.
I'm changing her name to Miracle.

Missing tip of bill will not matter in the long scheme of things. I was shocked just how much a bill injury can bleed when one of mine ripped his bill while trying to get through bars to attack another drake. There was blood everywhere: splattered over an uninvolved drake; in the water tub and all down the boys back as he had eventually settled down with his head under one wing then the other while still bleeding. It was only after cleaning him up, that I found there was only the damaged bill.

Rooster booster poultry cell will be helpful with revocery after losing so much blood.

Glad yours is showing distinct improvement and that Miracle now has a companion

Last edited:
She is definitely a fighter! I'm so glad to hear she is stable and improving. Of course, I'm also very sorry about the attack, and the loss. What a horrible ordeal for you, and your ducks, to all have to go through. It sounds like you are taking the best possible care of Miracle and your flock right now. ❤️❤️❤️ Keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom