Do I really have to keep chicks in brooder for 6 weeks?

Pics
We are making progress! I'll keep checking on them to make sure they are warm enough. Gah tho... 14 chickens in the house is too gross!

To each their own. I have 20 chickens and 8 ducklings in the brooder in
SnapShot(0).jpg
my home, with 4 cats and 2 dogs. As long as you change the bedding on a regular basis (daily), and make sure to wash your hands, it's not a big deal. I don't have a garage or a barn or anything else to raise them in.

I did try to put a screen over it. That was an epic fail..

They actually are ok. They hop out and hop back in. Not a huge mess. When they sit on the edge their butts are over the inside, so the poop ends up in the brooder.

Lucky! Mine sit on the edge too except they sit with their butts going the opposite direction... I had to put a small box next to their brooder to catch the droppings, silly birds!

Just reading we shouldn't have used chicken wire?? Have you had predator go through it?
You can find YouTube videos of canines ripping through chicken wire. A coon may not do so but can reach through and snag a hen that is sleeping against the wall. They only eat the head, neck and crop anyway.

If you look at chicken wire you can see that it is formed by twisting the "loops" of wire together. Thus it can come apart relatively easy. The general suggestion is to have 1/2" hardware cloth covering all openings. Held in place NEVER with "Arrow staple gun" type staples but poultry/fence staples (U shaped nails pointed on both ends), strips of wood screwed into the opening frame or screws and fender washers. You can use a staple gun to position and hold the HW cloth in place while you affix it with the stronger fasteners.

IF you are absolutely certain you don't have the small weasels you can get away with welded wire fencing covered with HW cloth up a couple of feet to keep the coons from reaching through and chicken wire higher up (to keep canines and weasels out). Also skirt out around the run about 18" with fencing to keep predators from digging under the fence. Some use 1/2" HW cloth but it is expensive, you can accomplish the same defense with 1x3 or 2x4 wire fencing. The idea is the animal will want to dig right near the fence but can't dig through the buried fencing. It doesn't even need to be buried if you have grass growing next to the fence, or bury it just a few inches. Some put paver stones around the outside over the unburied skirt.

To each their own. I have 20 chickens and 8 ducklings in the brooder in View attachment 1322516 my home, with 4 cats and 2 dogs. As long as you change the bedding on a regular basis (daily), and make sure to wash your hands, it's not a big deal. I don't have a garage or a barn or anything else to raise them in.
Were will they live when they are older, I am ASSUMING you don't plan to keep them in the house their entire lives.

Were will they live when they are older, I am ASSUMING you don't plan to keep them in the house their entire lives.

Outside of course. :lau I DO have a coop with a large run, and a large yard that the current flock free ranges in. What I was referring to as to raising them inside is the BABIES. I don't have a place to raise the CHICKS themselves, before they are able to be outside. My coop isn't big enough for a place for a brooder, and I don't have any other outside buildings in which to put a brooder. So the CHICKS I raise indoors for 6-8 weeks depending on the temperatures. :lau

I am not one of those really weird people who have their "pet" chickens as inside animals.

Me either, other than Betty who was an "aquarium chicken" for a week recovering from sour crop and impaction a couple of weeks ago ;)

If you ever get lucky enough to have a hen go broody when you plan to get chicks, they make excellent "warm spots", teachers and protectors right out in the coop.

Me either, other than Betty who was an "aquarium chicken" for a week recovering from sour crop and impaction a couple of weeks ago ;)

If you ever get lucky enough to have a hen go broody when you plan to get chicks, they make excellent "warm spots", teachers and protectors right out in the coop.
Broodies are great! I love watching a mama hen with her chicks.

Back
Top Bottom