Do I really have to keep chicks in brooder for 6 weeks?

I have 4 week old chicks and they will be ready to go in the coop without supplemental heat and with the rest of the flock soon. My question is: what do you feed everyone? My flock is on layer feed and the chicks are obviously on chick feed. How do you decide what to feed them all?

I have 4 week old chicks and they will be ready to go in the coop without supplemental heat and with the rest of the flock soon. My question is: what do you feed everyone? My flock is on layer feed and the chicks are obviously on chick feed. How do you decide what to feed them all?
Feed them an all-flock grower feed with oyster shell on the side.

I got 13 chicks this year and most of them are going on 2 weeks this weekend. They are getting crowded in the bin I've been keeping them in in the mud room so I'm thinking of a good next step... garage w newspaper and maybe baby pool? I've seen lots of posts on baby chicks in small brooders but hardly anything on how to manage them when they are 2-6 weeks.

Do I really have I keep them in the garage for 6 weeks if it's warm outside? I feel like they are going to get so bored and it will be a huge mess.

Anyone have a better solution?

Thank you!
I had mine in the bath tub with doggy pads til about 2 weeks then in the outside coop with heat lamps until they feathered out. I also tarp with bungee cords to avoid rain and wind. Didn't lose any of the 14. They are 2 months now.

Hi! Super new here. We have 4 1.5 weeks old inside our house in a big brooder tub. They’ve started jumping a bit so we have wire over the top now just in case one gets lucky and made it out (which would really be unlucky since we have dogs too!)

I know they grow fast and I may not be able to keep them inside - was thinking of moving to the garage in a week or two? Then outside maybe at 4 weeks or so? I’m in CO and nights are still around 40 which seems kinda cold to me.

After reading this thread, I see a lot about adding the new chicks to an existing flock, but these are the first in our new coop and run area!

I keep ours in an unheated garage. At 3 weeks of age I start to turn off the light for periods of time during the day. After 4 weeks of age they are no longer on heat if it's late spring. Temps going to 40 at night (not that low in garage) and high 50's to 70 F days. At 4 to 5 weeks they are feathered enough to take that if you've acclimated them by slowly taking away the heat source.

Still collecting eggs from the small pen so ours will be close to 5 weeks by the time I move the breeders back to flock and get the chicks in that coop/pen. Late spring/early summer they get moved out at 3 weeks of age.

IMG_7125.JPG
Is the coop ready? Are you adding to an existing flock. How warm are your nights?
If you're heating with a mhp or heat plate, I would go straight to the coop . If you're using a heat lamp, I would go to the garage. Cover it with wire .

Thank you! Coop isn't read but I'm wondering if I could do more daytime outside and then use a heating pad in a little duck house we built last year for night time since it's warmer now. I'm in NC. I've never used a heating pad. That seems like a reasonable way to make it warm enough at night.
I'm in NC too. In the foothills/Piedmont triad area. It's definitely warm enough that they shouldn't need the heat except maybe on our really cool nights. But if it's anything like we are getting here where you are, definitely I would give them more outdoor time. Just make sure they have some shade and some sun because they need to be able to escape the hot sun if desired and also to sunbathe if desired. Also, here in NC we have red tailed hawks that LOVE to swoop and they stalk the places they know have chickens, ducks, etc.... So be careful about full on free range until they get a little wiser about running for cover and such. The older chickens help teach survival methods that can save their lives in such a situation. There are predators no matter where you are, just seems like everyone I know across the state has issues with those in particular.a covered run (fully fenced, roof optional) to start them in is a good starting point. I add striped branches at different levels to make fun roost poles. It's fun to watch them jump from one to the other....

Back
Top Bottom